Which VOX ac30?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which VOX ac30?

Postby ELET » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:54 pm

SteveG wrote:Hello, interesting thread.

Remember that 'Vox' is only a registered trade mark owned by Korg, and no longer represents anything more than that, since none of the original parties are involved. Korg purchased the legal right to use this trademark on their products, whether it be a far-eastern made AC30-flavoured valve amplifier, or a plastic novelty like the 'Amplug'. They have shown themselves willing to use the 'Vox' name to sell whatever will make them money. Nothing wrong with that, but it is worth remembering before using phrases like 'real Vox' to describe a modern Korg-made amplifier.

I'm no fan of Music Ground, but I have to object to the description of their amplifiers as 'overpriced'. 'Expensive', yes, 'overpriced', no. It's easy to forget that in the sixties, an AC30 represented a very substantial investment. Try adjusting the price of an AC30 in the sixties to reflect today's prices and see what you get!

-Steve

I'm inclined to agree with the above thread but where does that put the Fender brand? I belive that when the company was bought by the present owners, (from CBS who in turn bought it from Leo Fender), all they purchased was the brand name and patents. Does this mean that all current Fender guitars are copies of Leo Fenders original designs and not the real thing? On the subject of pricing, I think that an item is only overpriced if nobody will pay the price being asked.
ELET

Postby peter roest » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:59 pm

Has someone noticed that the chassis of the amp in the Vox AC30C1 series is mounted upside down !! ?? To decrease the heat of the El84's, the bias is strongly reduced.
I thought I had downloaded the schema (with the hot cold switch for the EL84 kathode resistors). I cannot find anymore the link from where I got the schema. Maybe someone can help me.

Peter
peter roest

Postby abstamaria » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:39 am

ELET wrote: I'm inclined to agree with the above thread but where does that put the Fender brand? I belive that when the company was bought by the present owners, (from CBS who in turn bought it from Leo Fender), all they purchased was the brand name and patents. Does this mean that all current Fender guitars are copies of Leo Fenders original designs and not the real thing? On the subject of pricing, I think that an item is only overpriced if nobody will pay the price being asked.

And Lotus, Jaguar, Rolls Royce ... ? IMO, the design philospophy behind the brand, rather than ownership or even place of manufacture, should be link to the "original" products. I quite like the handwired Heritage amps for the eraly Shadows sound. The EF86 channel provides a very distinct, discernible flavor to my ears, and I would recommend them highly. By the way, the separate head and cab Heritage handwired AC15 is a bit easier on the back, if one is willing to make two trips.

I personally would prefer Vox amps made in the UK for historical and sentimental reasons, but, if that's not possible in a global world, Vox has been quoted as saying that the Chinese-made amps are very high quality.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby ELET » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:08 am

abstamaria wrote:
ELET wrote: I'm inclined to agree with the above thread but where does that put the Fender brand? I belive that when the company was bought by the present owners, (from CBS who in turn bought it from Leo Fender), all they purchased was the brand name and patents. Does this mean that all current Fender guitars are copies of Leo Fenders original designs and not the real thing? On the subject of pricing, I think that an item is only overpriced if nobody will pay the price being asked.

And Lotus, Jaguar, Rolls Royce ... ? IMO, the design philospophy behind the brand, rather than ownership or even place of manufacture, should be link to the "original" products. I quite like the handwired Heritage amps for the eraly Shadows sound. The EF86 channel provides a very distinct, discernible flavor to my ears, and I would recommend them highly. By the way, the separate head and cab Heritage handwired AC15 is a bit easier on the back, if one is willing to make two trips.

I personally would prefer Vox amps made in the UK for historical and sentimental reasons, but, if that's not possible in a global world, Vox has been quoted as saying that the Chinese-made amps are very high quality.

Well put. I too hope that that the design philosophy has carried over the various ownerships of the Vox brand. I have quite a large collection of amplifiers most of them old valve models from ths 50s', 60s' and 70s'. The newest amp I own is a 2007 Vox Heritage AC15 and I think that it has many of the desirable qualities of the old Jennings period models.
Since reading this thread I've been having a closer look at the offerings from both JMI and Vox and it seems that the JMI AC30 type amplifier is truer to the original Vox amplifiers from the early 60s' than any of the current Vox range. For example none of the current Vox range have a the vib/trem circuit. With features like master volume and reverb I think that they are trying to appeal to a younger market that like the Vox look but require these non-original features. It would be nice, (and probably quite expensive), if Vox/Korg could produce a limited run of AC30s' hand built to the early 60s' top boost specification. Provided it was well done I'm sure there's a market for such a product.
Last edited by ELET on Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ELET

Postby hansaustria » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:54 pm

Sure there is a market and we have JMI ( MG ) and other VOX related boutique amps. I think that`s OK !
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby Strummer » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:01 pm

LMS(ocks)O! We are STILL uncertain really of what amp to buy to get nearest to the original VOX ac15/ac30?

I'm confused...I'll just go and get me a bottle of wine and just "chill!" :lol:
Strummer

Postby SteveG » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:57 pm

I'm inclined to agree with the above thread but where does that put the Fender brand? I belive that when the company was bought by the present owners, (from CBS who in turn bought it from Leo Fender), all they purchased was the brand name and patents. Does this mean that all current Fender guitars are copies of Leo Fenders original designs and not the real thing?

I think the case could be made that yes, they are copies of the guitars made during Leo's stewardship of the original company. In reality, we're straying into a grey area. There's probably no definitive answer. The reason that trademarks are so valuable is because they radically shape one's perception of the objects to which they are attached. The fact is that 'Fender' make fine guitars, patterned after guitars made in CA in the fifties and sixties, and that is all that should matter. There's nothing particularly 'real' or otherwise about them.

Steve
SteveG

Postby abstamaria » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:05 am

Strummer wrote:LMS(ocks)O! We are STILL uncertain really of what amp to buy to get nearest to the original VOX ac15/ac30?
I'm confused...I'll just go and get me a bottle of wine and just "chill!" :lol:

In my opinion, for the very early Shadows sound and setting aside vintage amps from the period, the best is the Vox Heritage handwired (with the EF86 valve). An AC15 for home use, or an AC30 if you gig in large venues.
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Previous

Return to Gear