Which VOX ac30?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Which VOX ac30?

Postby Hank2k » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:02 pm

Hi All

Thinking of getting a Vox AC30 but im confused by all the different models. Anyone help me with regards to the CC1 and CC2 etc?

Thanks
Hank2k

Re: Which VOX ac30?

Postby JimTidmarsh » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:35 pm

Steve

From the VOX users manual -

CC1 has 1 x 12" VOX speaker
CC2 has a pair of custom designed GSH 12-30 speakers which add top end mellowness & Smooth bass repsonse
CC2X is a 2 x 12" CelestioN Blue 15w ALNiCo speakers as used in the original AC30 combo

I've had a CC2 for about 9 months and have never had a better amp. We use one at Rick's Burnham Shadows club and most months Rick has it adjusted so it really sings!!!
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Postby Tab » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:54 pm

We use both a CC1 and a CC2 at the Sussex Club and members say that the sound is second to none that they play through anywhere.

My CC2 is about 8 month old and Ray's CC1 is about a year old. There have been no problems with reliability but note the threads on this site regarding not using the standby switch. If you are within striking distance of Seaford, East Sussex, we meet next on 28th.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby David Martin » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:01 pm

Steve... the men above are right....if you can get a CC1 or 2, or the original Heritage Handwired, they are much more authentic than the latest incarnations...

If outright volume doesn't really matter, I'd go for one of the AC15 Handwired Heritage amps... because it has the EF86 channel in addition to the usual complement...

Beware the latest stuff which has solid state rectification, master volumes and so on which seem to be aimed at users who want crunch and distortion.
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby neil2726 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:41 pm

had my CC1 standy switch bypassed after probs!
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby hansaustria » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:13 pm

I would purchase the JMI AC 30/6 TB - thats the real amp. Believe me !

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby dave robinson » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:19 pm

hansaustria wrote:I would purchase the JMI AC 30/6 TB - thats the real amp. Believe me !

Hans

I'd look for the real thing, something that will hold it's value rather than an overpriced and overhyped copy that won't. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby steve.t » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:06 am

hi steve, i have a the cc2x & apart from a couple of valve replacements & the weight of it, i`m more than happy. The weight issue has forced my hand into buying one of the new ac15vr models & to be honest the sound is great.The purists out there may knock em, but i`ve used it on a rehearsal night & was impressed! So i would have a good look round & try one or two & see what you think & with a vast difference on the price tags they are worth a look at.
cheers, steve.
steve.t

Full Real Name: stephen taylor

Postby Didier » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:10 am

JimTidmarsh wrote:CC1 has 1 x 12" VOX speaker

This speaker seems to be very closely related to the Celestion G12 Century Vintage : http://professional.celestion.com/guita ... l.asp?ID=2
(Vox doesn't built any speakers)

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby JimTidmarsh » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:41 am

I get round the weight problem by having a sack trolley as part of my gear!!!! A bit of a pain, I know, but worth it for the sound of the amp.
JimTidmarsh

Full Real Name: Jim Tidmarsh

Next

Return to Gear