Which VOX ac30?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which VOX ac30?

Postby hansaustria » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:46 pm

The listprice of the new VOX AC 30 ( handwired series / blue speakers ) MADE IN ?????? ( China ??? ) is in Austria nearly the same as a special
price ( ebay ) for a UK made "overpriced and overhyped" handwired 50 Anniversary amp !!

( not the overpriced signed amps )

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby RUSSET » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:53 am

hansaustria wrote:The listprice of the new VOX AC 30 ( handwired series / blue speakers ) MADE IN ?????? ( China ??? ) is in Austria nearly the same as a special
price ( ebay ) for a UK made "overpriced and overhyped" handwired 50 Anniversary amp !!

( not the overpriced signed amps )

Hans

Could this be a sign that China is now no longer the place to buy bargain versions of the equipment we all love. I guess the currencies will move that way soon. It happened eventually with the Japanese produced goods, so maybe it's China's turn. Unless of course, those rascally middle men are taking all the rate of exchange discount ?

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:47 pm

I wasn't making reference to the Chinese built Vox amps as to being the 'real thing' though I have heard plenty of those amps deliver THAT SOUND - Rather than that there are plenty of sixties and seventies Vox amps for sale a reasonable prices as well as the Marshall built Vox TBX AC30's. I hear that JMI are dropping the wonderful Tayden speakers already, in favour of Fanes. They really lasted well eh? :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hansaustria » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:54 pm

The listprice for an Korg ( maybe chinese korean built ) AC 30 HW is € 2 379.-

http://www.voxamps.de/vox-produkt/verst ... teaser_pi1[backId]=6038

The price for an AC 30 / 6 TB ( JMI Musicground ) - on ebay - GBP 2 089.- = € 2 445 .-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JMI-30-6-TOP- ... 3cad050284

Only € 66.- difference for a handwired / handbuilt amp "Made in UK" !! Why overpriced / overhyped - fact is that Hank Marvin used JMI
amps on his last tour. I personally think that the amps are fine, why didn`t the Shadows use KORG built AC 30 HW amps if they would have
been the better choice ?

Hans
Last edited by hansaustria on Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hansaustria

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:59 pm

hansaustria wrote:The listprice for an Korg ( maybe chinese korean built ) AC 30 HW is € 2 379.-

http://www.voxamps.de/vox-produkt/verst ... teaser_pi1[backId]=6038

The price for an AC 30 / 6 TB ( JMI Musicground ) - on ebay - GBP 2 089.- = € 2 445 .-

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEW-JMI-30-6-TOP- ... 3cad050284

Only € 66.- difference for a handwired / handbuilt amp "Made in UK" !! Why overpriced ????

Hans

Why overpriced? Because a Vox is a Vox is a Vox and a Music Ground JMI NEVER will be. Simples.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby hansaustria » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:29 pm

But I think that a current JMI is closer to a 60 `s Vintage VOX than a HW Korg amp.
It`s not important for me whats written on it ( VOX ) - important is - what`s in it
( how the amp is built ) !

Hans
hansaustria

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:05 pm

I agree Hans, but the original poster aked for advice on which VOX . . . . . . . . my advice would be to seek out a second hand original or one of the Marshall built TBX models. I heard that the JMI amps were supplied for the 50th anniversary tour by Music Ground free of charge. As soon as the tour was finished the amps were offered at silly prices because of this - why? Did they sound amazing on the tour ? Were we all blown away with the sound ? Did Hank and Bruce buy one? I reckon the answers to all those questions is a big fat no, it was a desperate stunt by Music Ground to jack up their prices. I have tried the AC15 and it was a good piece of kit, but other people who I know have had unsatisfactory experiences with poor workmanship on these amps and returned them for a refund, however if you are getting satisfaction from yours then that's good news. Sadly I know too much about this firm to trust them and would never invest that amount of money in anything that they are involved in. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby Gary Allen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:22 am

Is it true that 5 out of 6 JMI ac30s failed at rehearsals for the Shads ?,...
Gary Allen

Full Real Name: Gary Allen

Postby ErikMAMS » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:08 am

Is it true that 5 out of 6 JMI ac30s failed at rehearsals for the Shads ?,...

Yes, reported from reliable sources - but there seems to be differing opinions on the reason/cure to the problem.

The chassis's were build by Steve Giles for JMI, but SG backed off at some point due to disagrements.
http://vintageamps.com/plexiboard/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90460

The Limited edition Shadows amps marketed as having circuit modifications and special voicing were stock in everyway circuit wise - a simple marketing plot (scam IMO).

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby AndyKC » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:45 pm

ErikMAMS wrote:The Limited edition Shadows amps marketed as having circuit modifications and special voicing were stock in everyway circuit wise - a simple marketing plot (scam IMO).
Erik

Land sakes, Music Ground resorting to puffery? Why, I never!!! :roll: ;)
AndyKC

PreviousNext

Return to Gear