Which VOX ac30?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Which VOX ac30?

Postby SteveG » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:10 am

I hear that JMI are dropping the wonderful Tayden speakers already, in favour of Fanes. They really lasted well eh?

I haven't heard that one. Is it from a reliable source?

Steve
SteveG

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:04 am

I heard it from someone who made an enquiry about buying JMI AC30 - He was told that the speakers would be Fane. :|
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby hansaustria » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:15 am

Can anyone describe the visable differences ( at the first look ) beetween Fanes and Taydens.

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby hansaustria » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:32 am

Interesting to read about this changes of speakers. My amp was ordered in september - same time offered with Taydens. If I would have had the wish
changing the speakers (to Fanes / Celestions ) it wouldhave been possible after talking with Musicground. But I choosed and I like the Taydens !

Hans
hansaustria

Postby dave robinson » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:19 pm

There's nothing wrong with the Tayden speakers, the potential customer of whom I speak was under the impression that it was a cost cutting manouvre. He declined to buy because ofthe poor attitude of the sales person.:idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby speakerman » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:07 pm

With reference to the rumour that J.M.I. have dropped Tayden loudspeakers there is no truth in this whatsoever these are still being delivered on a regular basis
whilst there may be other options offered, the Taydens offer the closest match to an old original
I was present at the testing of the samples against other makes and a 40 year old original the unanimous vote of the four people there was in favour of the
Tayden

Speakerman
speakerman

Postby hansaustria » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 pm

Great to hear this. My JMI AC 30 / 6 TB is fitted with Taydens. These speakers sound to my ears
amazing !!!

Hans
hansaustria

Postby ELET » Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:33 am

Although I've had no direct dealings with JMI amps I have bought a guitar from Music Ground and was less than impressed. The company tends to get pretty terrible press on most guitar related forums. As Dave Robinson states there are plenty of old Vox AC30s' about, I own an early 60s' AC30 which cost me about £700 and it sounds great. The bonus is that if I ever want to sell it I'll always get a good price for it. It's worth rembering that all the Shads big hits were recorded using Vox amps, to use anything different is making life more difficult if you're aiming to get "that sound".
ELET

Postby SteveG » Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:45 pm

Hello, interesting thread.

Remember that 'Vox' is only a registered trade mark owned by Korg, and no longer represents anything more than that, since none of the original parties are involved. Korg purchased the legal right to use this trademark on their products, whether it be a far-eastern made AC30-flavoured valve amplifier, or a plastic novelty like the 'Amplug'. They have shown themselves willing to use the 'Vox' name to sell whatever will make them money. Nothing wrong with that, but it is worth remembering before using phrases like 'real Vox' to describe a modern Korg-made amplifier.

I'm no fan of Music Ground, but I have to object to the description of their amplifiers as 'overpriced'. 'Expensive', yes, 'overpriced', no. It's easy to forget that in the sixties, an AC30 represented a very substantial investment. Try adjusting the price of an AC30 in the sixties to reflect today's prices and see what you get!

-Steve
SteveG

Postby hansaustria » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:38 pm

Steve, I agree with you. In 1964 / 65 the price for an AC 30 Supertwin in Austria was ATS 14 600.- ( DM 2 100.- )!
The average income per year at this time amounted DM 8 467.- ( http://www.monetos.de/altersvorsorge/gr ... atistiken/ ) !
One had to raise three month salaries for it to be able to purchase an AC 30. I would like to say that VOX amps in the 60`s
were pure luxury.

For comparison: the price for a VW Käfer ( a car ) was in 1965 DM 9 000.- ( 4 X AC 30 = 1 x VW Käfer ) .... and today ?????????????????????????

Hans
hansaustria

PreviousNext

Return to Gear