OT: GARY MOORE SOUND ?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

OT: GARY MOORE SOUND ?

Postby OLDEREK » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:29 pm

What pedal would give the best Gary Moore sound. or how does he get That Sound of his ............. :D
OLDEREK

Re: OT: GARY MOORE SOUND ?

Postby dave robinson » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:48 pm

For Gary Moore's version of Parisienne Walkways I use my Magicstomp. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:04 pm

Marshall JTM800 main amp he uses although he has recorded with JMP pre amp unit at times . He uses drive at the front end of the amp which I believe comes from a tubescreamer pedal and he also uses a bit of reverb and delay at times. Thats the basics I can remember off hand and the Les Paul where the volume is rolled on and off to suit . Should be some more info on the internet if you Google. I got a fair sound playing Parisienne Walkways using a JTM model on my Tonelab and a treble booster model its easy enough but mainly some drive before the amp plus the JTM 800 will get you going ! :D
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Bluesnote » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:23 am

OLDEREK wrote:What pedal would give the best Gary Moore sound. or how does he get That Sound of his ............. :D
Hi

I know you can get something like the sound with pedals, but in reality its Gary that gets his sound.
I went to his BBM concert in the Barrowland in Glasgow years ago when he was doing Cream songs with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce.
In between songs he tuned up and his sound was totally dry til he cranked it up and got the fingers going then the guitar lit up.
He has an amazing way of making the guitar sing, a bit like Jeff Beck. Obviously he uses effects to a certain extent but his sound is mainly the way he plays :o
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby cockroach » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:39 am

Blimey Derek, people have been debating world wide how to get THAT type of sound since Eric Clapton and others caught young players ears when they made those now almost mandatory typical Gibson Les Paul + cranked up Marshall amp noises in 1965...and some people back then had what can now be seen as some REALLY daft theories back then- but average players then really knew bugger all !!

Next you'll be wanting to know how George Harrison got all his sounds with the Fabs...
Which is ANOTHER 'never ending story'...like how to get Hank's sound in fact!!

There would be about a million or more websites and chat rooms world wide where these questions have been, are and will be debated until kingdom come...everyone finally almost agrees that they all know the secret...the subject is dropped, then a 'newbie' asks an innocent question a year or two later , and they are all off arguing again..

(I've heard quite a few instances on some VERY early recordings of electric guitars where that overdriven lead solo sound features- including unlikely people like Django Reinhardt in the mid - late 40's, and Junior Barnard with Bob Will's Texas Playboys in about 1940...but that's ANOTHER story..!)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby barryg » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 am

When Phil Kelly played at the South Coast Shadows Club on Wednesday he played some Gary Moore numbers and if you looked closley you could see the green Ibanez Tube Screamer he used as well as his chorus pedal, Meazzi echo and his red Strat. His sound and tone was brilliant.

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Return to Gear