Fender Strat tremolo bar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fender Strat tremolo bar

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:27 pm

Hi all.
Another simple solution to the loose trem arm is the Boots chemists product "Zinc Oxide" plaster tape. It's £2;09p per roll and you get five mtr's on a roll. you only need a piece one and a half cent mtr's long to sort out your loose arm. You have enough tape on the one roll to do over three hundred loose arms. Wrap it round the thread about two millimeters in from the end. This allows the arm to pickup the thred into the block. Screw the arm into the block until it's where you want it.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Rosemary » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks very much for the tip, Geoff. Sounds a great idea. I'm not sure if I can buy that product here in Australia but there might be an equivalent Australian product.
All the best
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Postby Bill Bowley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:27 pm

I used to use plumbers tape until I replaced all the trems on my Strats with Callaham units, no need for tape now. That is a more expensive solution though, but the thread in the block is tight enough to hold the trem 'where I put it' every time. Tried those Fender trem springs and gave up on them very quickly after loosing them or finding that they stayed compressed and became useless too quickly.

Hang about, one of my Strats has a block fitted that I bought from the bloke in UK that makes them by order,that was from EBay, Kevin H. It wasn't too expensive (about $35AUD plus postage I think), as good as the Callaham unit IMHO too. Just check EBay and he is advertising his units at Item number: 150526303643 if you are interested.

Regards :)
Bill Bowley

Postby alanbakewell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:26 pm

Bill Bowley wrote:I used to use plumbers tape until I replaced all the trems on my Strats with Callaham units, no need for tape now. That is a more expensive solution though, but the thread in the block is tight enough to hold the trem 'where I put it' every time. Tried those Fender trem springs and gave up on them very quickly after loosing them or finding that they stayed compressed and became useless too quickly.

Hang about, one of my Strats has a block fitted that I bought from the bloke in UK that makes them by order,that was from EBay, Kevin H. It wasn't too expensive (about $35AUD plus postage I think), as good as the Callaham unit IMHO too. Just check EBay and he is advertising his units at Item number: 150526303643 if you are interested.

Regards :)

100% in agreement Bill. My Custom Shop has a Callaham block and stainless steel tremolo arm. As you say it stays where you put it. ( Has done since fitting five years ago ).
My 50th anniversary has one of Kevin's blocks in. Very impressed.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:58 pm

Just fitted a new Trem Block to my 57 Vintage reissue Strat today made by Kevin (Celtrocka) c/w delrin bush in the top of trem thread hole. Almost a third of the Callaham version price so pleased and the trem arm stops where you leave it. Have not played the guitar through the amp yet but accoustically it sounds OK. I needed to change mine due to the trem arm snapping off last winter and Ecca helped me out by drilling it out but the thread was never the same again so I had to replace and happy to recommend Kevin for his Trem blocks. :)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby alanbakewell » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 pm

roger bayliss wrote:Just fitted a new Trem Block to my 57 Vintage reissue Strat today made by Kevin (Celtrocka) c/w delrin bush in the top of trem thread hole. Almost a third of the Callaham version price so pleased and the trem arm stops where you leave it. Have not played the guitar through the amp yet but accoustically it sounds OK. I needed to change mine due to the trem arm snapping off last winter and Ecca helped me out by drilling it out but the thread was never the same again so I had to replace and happy to recommend Kevin for his Trem blocks. :)

And his blocks will certainly trem this weather :o :o :o
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby ecca » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:17 pm

Here's what I did to stop the slop Rosemary......
It's a permanent job that can be fitted and adjusted without modifying the guitar

strat trem mod.jpg
(103.67 KiB) Downloaded 5195 times
ecca

Postby Rosemary » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:28 am

Hi Ecca and Darryl

Ecca: That's a great invention!
Darryl: Thanks very much for the link and advice.

Solving this is one of my highest priorities for the new year because it's very hard to grab the trem bar when it falls right down. I'm not yet 100% sure I can't adjust my technique with it tightened so it stays in place so maybe I should still persevere with this first. I've also been trying to palm mute while holding the trem bar in my little finger so it doesn't drop but can't seem to get the right angle then to mute the strings.
If this all proves too impossible I'll try one or more of these suggestions.
Thanks again for all your help!
Best wishes
Rosemary
Rosemary

Full Real Name: Rosemary Beattie

Previous

Return to Gear