Hank Marvin Ramírez Flamenco guitar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Hank Marvin Ramírez Flamenco guitar

Postby Xosé » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:16 pm

Hello cockroach,

cockroach wrote:Xose,

Cheers!

Are you anywhere near San Sebastian? We loved the place when we were over in 1993.

regards
from

Cucuracha!

No: I'm from La Coruña, Galicia, just at the North-West of Spain.

A very nice city, indeed... ;)

BTW: do you remember the date for that Beat Instrumental issue with Marvin's guitar collection??

Best!! ;)

Xosé
Xosé

Postby bob t » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Xosé wrote:Hello,

I'm from Spain and this is my first post here.

Due to a research on progress, I'm looking for a photo of Hank Marvin Ramírez Flamenco guitar, used on 'Guitar Tango' recording from July 1962.

Have you ever come across with a photo of that guitar?? Could you help me to find one??

I will be awaiting for your news...

Best!! ;)

Xosé

P.D.: Please, excuse my poor English language...

Hi Xose

Have a look here

http://www.penumbra.co.nz/

Click on the top left item under Home titled "The Shadows are cast over New Zealand"

Then click on the programme for the Moonlight Shadows Tour and there are pictures of Hank's guitar collection on page 15 one of which may be the guitar you are refering to, click on the picture for an enlargement

Bob T
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby Xosé » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:06 am

Hello bob t,

Thank you very much for your help!! ;)

And yes: that is Marvin's Ramírez flamenco...

BTW: I think I have found the Beat Instrumental back issue cockroach talked about:

Now, next step would be to find a copy...

Best!! ;)

Xosé
Xosé

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:06 pm

Hi all.
Its easy to see why the Shads had tuning problems with their rosewood board Strats, just look at the bridge saddle setup on the above picture.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:08 pm

Intonation ? I thought the same when I looked particularythe bottom 3 d/a/e strings
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:14 pm

Correct Roger. Nothing in tune here above the twelfth fret. Especialy with those big thick strings.

Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby cockroach » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:07 pm

HI Xose

I no longer have any Beat Instrumental magazines, but the BI interview is quoted almost in full in the book by Mike Read -The Story of the Shadows- which may be easier to find than that issue of BI...there's not really any other references to the Ramirez guitar anyway. But maybe Hank must have needed a classical guitar, perhaps to record 'Guitar Tango'? If that was when and why he bought a Ramirez, he certainly chose one of the best Spanish guitars.

Regarding the comments on the Shads tuning problems, perhaps there weren't many knowledgeable guitar repair people around who knew much about adjusting Fenders back then. As people have said, those bridge saddles look wrongly adjusted- tidy and neat in a row, but wrong! Mind you, I always got the impression that it was mainly due to Bruce's neurotic perfectionism at the time which led him to think he was out of tune- he has more or less admitted this in interviews..then he paid John Rostill to tune his guitars, and as he said later, he's been OK since they invented electronic plug-in tuners!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Xosé » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Hi cockroach,

cockroach wrote:...I no longer have any Beat Instrumental magazines, but the BI interview is quoted almost in full in the book by Mike Read -The Story of the Shadows- which may be easier to find than that issue of BI...there's not really any other references to the Ramirez guitar anyway. But maybe Hank must have needed a classical guitar, perhaps to record 'Guitar Tango'? If that was when and why he bought a Ramirez, he certainly chose one of the best Spanish guitars...

Oh yes: I'm sure about that. And that is why George Harrison decided to choose a Ramírez as his classical guitar from May 1963 onwards (=besides his admiration for Andrés Segovia), and why he gifted Mary Hopkin with another Ramírez on 17 July 1968.

I own a copy of Harrison Ramírez dated 2005...

Best!! ;)

Xosé
Xosé

Postby negninegaw » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:08 pm

I remember reading somwhere that there was really something wrong with
Bruce's guitar; nut in the wrong place.
negninegaw

Full Real Name: Van Wageningen

Postby David Martin » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 am

Geoff Alderton LH wrote:Hi all.
Its easy to see why the Shads had tuning problems with their rosewood board Strats, just look at the bridge saddle setup on the above picture.
Regards Geoff.

Fascinating...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

PreviousNext

Return to Gear