SuperChamp XD / EF86

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

SuperChamp XD / EF86

Postby Tab » Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:39 am

Can the EF86 mod be done to the Fender SuperChamp XD and would it produce that vintage tone?

Probable a naive question but I would appreciate some comment from the experts out there.

Thanks

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Re: SuperChamp XD / EF86

Postby Bojan » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 am

Very interesting question!!!
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby dave robinson » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:32 am

It should do if it is physically possible to install it. You would only be using the power stage of the Fender as the tone would be from the EF86.
I have a Super Champ XD and get an acceptable Shads sound, but the EF86 would be the icing on the cake.
Why not ask Roger Alcock? :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby David Martin » Wed Nov 24, 2010 4:02 pm

My answer would be "dunno"!! :shock:

And the reason? So many variables make it impossible to predict. As Robbo says, providing you can get power to the EF86 preamp circuit and valve, and providing that there's physically a location for it, then it can be done. But until it IS done it's not possible to say. More likely with an EL84 or so in the power amp in my view.... what's in the little Fender?
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Twang46 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:19 pm

Interesting indeed !

There's a simple mod that you can do to fit a "line in" socket that effectively bypasses the digi stuff in the pre-amp side, so......... in theory a separate daughter board with the necessary "bits" on (there is room inside the cab) should be possible.
As most of us know there is a very acceptable "shads" tone already there even though the output stage uses 6v6 valves.

This needs looking at in more depth I think 8-)

Cheers

Dick.
Twang46

Full Real Name: Dick Cruddas

Postby RUSSET » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:06 pm

I have had my Fender Superchamp XD for a couple of years now, & a superb little amp it is ! It has 12AX7 preamp valves & 2 x 6V6s in the power stage, giving a 15w output through a 10" speaker. It also has digital amp modelling & effects.
The sad thing is that the Vox amp model, although a very good simulation, starts to overdrive at about 3 on the Gain knob, so is not very useful for clean loud Shads tones, unless you mike it up or 'Line out' it into a PA. I tend to use the 'Fender Clean' channel & that works fine for me, mainly at home.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Tab » Wed Nov 24, 2010 6:43 pm

Thanks for your input, Guys.

I have been very impressed with the versatility and the quality of sound produced by this little amp (my partner in crime at the Sussex Club has one) but I've also been mightily impressed by the EF86 mods demonstrated here. If the two could be combined it would be, as Dave says, the icing on the cake.

I have contacted Roger (Alcock) about his vintage unit for my AC30 CC2 but apparently this is not possible at the moment.

The reason for investigating a small amp is the weight problem with the Vox which will be reserved for the Club dates and larger venues.

Keep the advice coming, please.

Kind regards,

Terry
Tab

Postby Tab » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:50 pm

In an effort to improve my knowledge of valves and the technical stuff, I came across this;

www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery ... /ef86.html

Interesting.
Tab

Postby Bojan » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:03 pm

Interesting information on the website Terry. I wonder if that very same "troublesome" and "noisy" character of the EF86 is what shapes the early Hank sounds we cherish so much?
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby David JM » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:28 pm

John Beaty, of Blueberry Pie Electronics created an EF86 add-on stage for my 1972 Vox AC30TB.

With his help, I designed and made the small chassis on which he affixed the hardware, including a shock-mount for the valve, and fixings for the small PCB.

He managed to shoehorn it in, onto the preamp chassis, with its own voltages etc., input jack, Bright/Normal switch and volume control, feeding the output into the phase splitter, suitably controlled by the Top Boost control.

It works well, so if there's a circuit diagram for the XD, I'm sure that it wouldn't take him long to work out the circuitry.

I'll ask him to take a look, and "report back".

It'll probably take a couple of weeks.

Cheers for now,

David JM
David JM

Next

Return to Gear