Burns or Strat?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns or Strat?

Postby dave robinson » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:41 am

That's fine Hans - but I'll stick with what Hank told me and everybody else, that he played a Strat on the recording of Atlantis. As for Licorice's version of events, he first told me it was a Strat for certain back in 2000, but more lately has changed his story - who knows? I'll stick with Hank every time.

Don't agree about the parametric EQ that you speak of, as I don't use them to achieve what I am claiming, just a guitar, echo, amp and compressor. There is no other coloration of the sound than from that of those four components, the same now as they were back then when I noticed in 1964 that my own Strat sounded very odd (like a Burns Marvin) through the Vox AC30 Top Boost, compared to the normal AC30 that I owned. The fact that I can plug the Burns into a non Top Boost amp and get the old Strat sound is the end of the argument for me - it's down to the type of amp. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:30 pm

Hans

The parametric EQ features in most professional recordings and they had them in the 50's and 60's typically as two mid range EQ's of the Pultec peaking type with a selectable frequency to target the upper and lower mids very often. Most mixing starts out with some form of EQ work and typically the engineers start at the bottom and work up through the instruments altering the frequencies so the instruments whether they be tom toms snares kick drums or guitars horns etc sing out right in the mix. The parametric type are used often to remove annoying frequencies and to make the instument or voice come to the fore as it were. Another typical use is with singers to remove the esses and etc in the upper mid range towards 3khz. This is why recordings sound so polished because the right engineers are chosen to develop the sound not only in the mixing stage but also the final mastering stages. A change of mic will also affect the recording and so on.

This is why your live sound will never sound as good as the recorded versions because so much work went into making the final recordings and even the real artists never sound the same their recorded work. :idea:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby tony parnham » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:09 pm

Just to come in at this point, Referring to Dave Robbo's comments on Post 26 of this thread I was the chappy at his home and was privvy to the demonstration with the Tonelab SE. Don't think I'm a novice with Burns I used to own a Black Bison in the 60's (my avatar pic) and a Burns Marvin in the 70's gigging with AC 30 and Copycat and I know the sounds of both guitars very well. I heard Dave play Atlantis on a Strat (as well as other Burns tracks) and it was nailed spot on, the Strat quite happily replicated the Atlantis recording easily. He used his Burns Marvin more or less as a comparison equally making Shadoogie sound like the Strat. Both guitar sounds were coloured and manipulated by the equipment used, it was quite a revalation really having both guitars on a side by side comparison.
On the Atlantis argument I was always fascinated which guitar but I've put it to bed now and I'll go with Hank who said he used a Strat which has been proved to me now anyway , it's all good fun.
Tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby Iain Purdon » Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:46 pm

It is, as you say, all good fun. What would we talk about otherwise!
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby neil2726 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:28 am

Yep, glad I started this thread. 4 pages is a record for one of my posts! :lol:
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:35 pm

Neil,

Want to make it 5? :roll:

Bill Bowley

Postby Bojan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 am

Ah yes, and I have always said that Gege has the sound. And I have always suspected that Atlantis could have been recorded originally on a Burns. But then I heard Abel . . .

Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Bill Bowley » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:08 am

Hey Bojan,

The 'mystery' continues....! :)
Bill Bowley

Postby Bojan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:38 am

Exactly !!! Buaaaaaaaaa!!! :twisted: :lol:
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic