Burns or Strat?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns or Strat?

Postby neil2726 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Beats watching the telly Justin! :D
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Bill Bowley » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:12 am

Some words from 'back then' by Hank regarding BURNS... ;)
Bill Bowley

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:25 pm

Hi,

I deleted my post by mistake!

I wrote that the sound of the white Fender Strats used in 1963, was close to the Burns sound, and it could be a source of mix-up. Also, regarding Atlantis, there is compression on the lead guitar giving more sustain. I also thought that some tunes (prior to The Rise And fall Of Flingel Bunt) could have been recorded with the Burns, but now I don't think so.

Best regards

Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:56 pm

I am with you on that Peirre and the Strat brigade myself for Atlantis as I think the sound comes from the use of compression and the way the Strat was set up plus Top Boost and of course the all important EQ on the desks . I have played Geronimo through a Strat and recently a Burns and to my ears it sounded nearer on the Burns and GEGE's sound file is very good and he uses the Burns. That said I think with Parametric EQ's and the like you cound probably with a bit of work get a Strat to sound like a Burns and vise versa in a similar way that single coil PU's can be made to sound like a humbucker ! But Hank is said to have stated it was on a Strat (Atlantis) so thats good enogh for me ! :)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Bojan » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:09 pm

roger bayliss wrote: But Hank is said to have stated it was on a Strat (Atlantis) so thats good enogh for me ! :)

Hank also stated (referring to the new Burns guitars): "Now we wouldn't change them for anything" :D :D
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:13 am

Yes Bojan ;)
Pierre
Pierre TEODORI

Postby neil2726 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:55 am

he also said some nice things about Burns when the 2004 Anniversary came out! ;)
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby Iain Purdon » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:41 pm

Can you remember what you did on 13th December 1962? I can't!

We are more likely to remember the exceptional and forget the commonplace. How exceptional was the Atlantis recording session to a working band?

I don't the answer will ever be known unless a photo was taken during the recording of the version(s) used.

For what I have read over the years, I would say that Hank's memories are self-contradictory at times while Bruce and Brian admit having forgotten recording some numbers altogether. In general, Licorice's recollections tend to be more consistent than most, so I tend towards his version of events when he has one to offer.

But it was long time ago!

Iain
Iain Purdon
site admin group
Iain Purdon
Site Admin

Full Real Name: Iain Purdon

Postby Bojan » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:19 pm

Yes, it was a long time ago, and it is really hard to remember every detail, but there is also a memory paradox: in old age, most people can recall precise details from their distant past but cannot remember what they had for lunch the previous day. So, in about 10 years, I expect the boys will remember exactly what guitars they used on each of their recordings! :D ;)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby Pierre TEODORI » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:42 pm

lol! You're right Bojan! :)
Pierre TEODORI

PreviousNext

Return to Gear