Burns or Strat?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Burns or Strat?

Postby neil2726 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:08 pm

Always been a lot of disscussion regarding certain Shads recordings being done on prototype Burns or a Strat.
Atlantis and Geronimo to name a couple. Just had a thought (not often these days) but it seems that Hank would have a few guitars available at recording sessions, therefore he may have used different guitars for different takes. So it seems possible that some numbers were recorded using both prototype Burns and a Strat. It seems the Shads didnt always have the last choice in which take was issued, (often on tour and out of the country) so even they may not be aware as to which guitar was used on the issued track. The recordings of course are usually released a few months after the recording date. I believe that Atlantis is a mixture of two different takes - the muted intro and the main theme - could this be both Burns and Strat ? Licorace always said he remembers a Burns being used on the Atlantis recording sessions. Just a thought - no doubt you will all have your own.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Re: Burns or Strat?

Postby 51 Relic » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:41 pm

Hi

Read this thread with interest as i have always thought that Atlantis was recorded using a Burns Marvin ( maybe incorrect )I have never been able to duplicate the original tone using a Strat but with the Marvin i can get close and it just sounds correct :?:

Kind Regards Nigel
51 Relic

Postby Derek Mowbray » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:59 pm

Atlantis and Geronimo were recorded on the 13/12/62 and according to Hank Marvin ,Atlantis was recorded on a Fender Strat with a rosewood fretboard.There seems to be two versions of when Hank approached Jim Burns about producing a guitar for the Shadows ,one is 1962 and the other is summer 1963 .I Would think it is unlikely it would take nearly two years make the guitars,in any case The Shadows were using Fender guitars on stage and television in 1963 and also in the film Wonderful Life.The earliest time they would use Burns guitars live would be early 1964 after they came back from Gran Canaria.
Derek Mowbray

Full Real Name: Derek Mowbray

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:48 am

Derek,

I assume by 'Burns guitars' in relation to 'Wonderful Life' you are refering to the 'Marvin', as you would know Hank did use a BURNS 'Double Six' in 'Wonderful Life', so there is a BURNS connection at that time methinks. ;)
Attachments
WLifeOTB.jpg
(85.5 KiB) Downloaded 9386 times
Bill Bowley

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:11 am

Nearly forgot!

Have a read of this NME article, particularly the part about Hank playing his 'new BURNS' guitar -and take note of the date and timing (Lic leaving). And it is before they recorded the music for 'Wonderful Life'.......... ;)
Attachments
1963 Newsletter.doc
(34.5 KiB) Downloaded 590 times
Bill Bowley

Postby cockroach » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:44 am

No wonder Bruce had tuning problems- changing strings a few hours before rehearsal and the show....

Sounds as if Hank was trying one of the prototype Marvins - did he use it that night I wonder?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby tony parnham » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:28 pm

As I understand it from other opinions gleaned along the way, Hank says it was a Strat. Licorice may have been confused by the 'Olympic White Strat' that Hank used for a while about that time.They recorded the EP Los Shadows with it in April 63 in Barcelona four months after Atlantis and if you listen to Valencia and rest of the tracks its quite toppy and could be enhanced by the top boost.
tony
tony parnham

Full Real Name: Tony Parnham

Postby JimN » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:32 pm

tony parnham wrote:Licorice may have been confused by the 'Olympic White Strat' that Hank used for a while about that time.

That's a teeny bit harsh.

I'm sure Licorice can and could tell the difference between a white Fender (he had one too, BTW) and a Burns.

The fact that Hank had prototype Burns guitars passing through his hands (more than thirty of them) isn't even a secret.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby MeBHank » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Brian once told me he was sure it was a Burns, then stopped himself and said "Well, I'm sure it was a white guitar."

I am with Neil. I can quite believe that for tunes where overdubs were necessary, two guitars may have been used. But we'll never know for sure. The speculation is fun, if nothing else.

J
Justin Daish
MeBHank

Full Real Name: Justin Daish

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:35 pm

As a 'by the way', for anyone who wondered about the 'Surfing with The Shadows' LP referred to in that NME article, heres two pics of the sleeve. ;)
Attachments
SurfingShadows1b.jpeg
(261.77 KiB) Downloaded 9248 times
SurfingShadows1a.jpeg
(123.46 KiB) Downloaded 9248 times
Bill Bowley

Next

Return to Gear