Burns or Strat?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Burns or Strat?

Postby John Boyd » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:37 pm

Paul,
I certainly have enjoyed it - it's a cracker!
I always enjoy visiting the TVS jukebox.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby 5tratocaster » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:54 pm

Bruce told me that it was a strat with no hesitation whatsoever.
And if Hank also remembers it that way, then that is what I choose to believe.
I think it was recorded way too early to have been on a Burns, even a prototype.
I think it is one of the greatest guitar sounds of all time and if it was a Burns prototype, why did it take nearly 18 months to finish it? It seems pretty much perfect as it is.
Geoff
5tratocaster

Full Real Name: Geoff Shaw

Postby Hank2k » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:59 pm

I have always been pretty convinced it was a strat but following recent discovery im wondering if it was a mosrite :D
Hank2k

Postby bor64 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:50 pm

Hans, nope I can't call it a legend...because there are to much original parts on it screaming Marvin ;)
From l to r march 65 - 2004 AM - 64 DB- UK greenburst Marvin-1980 Marvin-D28 accoustic :mrgreen:
All Burns have the correct "vintage" neck pocket...
Attachments
IMG_3587 (648 x 486).jpg
(130.26 KiB) Downloaded 5386 times
"afterwards everyone is clairvoyant"
bor64

Full Real Name: Rob Aartsen

Postby abstamaria » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:27 pm

neil2726 wrote: I believe that Atlantis is a mixture of two different takes - the muted intro and the main theme - could this be both Burns and Strat ? Licorace always said he remembers a Burns being used on the Atlantis recording sessions. Just a thought - no doubt you will all have your own.

I would like to believe that the muted sections were overdubbed, as it has been impossible for me to switch from the neck pickup to the bridge as the outro requires!

Andres
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Postby JimN » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:07 pm

Derek Mowbray wrote:Atlantis and Geronimo were recorded on the 13/12/62 and according to Hank Marvin ,Atlantis was recorded on a Fender Strat with a rosewood fretboard.There seems to be two versions of when Hank approached Jim Burns about producing a guitar for the Shadows, one is 1962 and the other is summer 1963. I Would think it is unlikely it would take nearly two years make the guitars, in any case The Shadows were using Fender guitars on stage and television in 1963 and also in the film Wonderful Life.The earliest time they would use Burns guitars live would be early 1964 after they came back from Gran Canaria.

"two versions of when Hank approached Jim Burns about producing a guitar for the Shadows, one is 1962 and the other is summer 1963"

It was 1962. It was actually mentioned on a TV programme shown on ITV in the April of that year ("Dan Farson Meets The Shadows") and when the Marvin was finally unveiled to the public, Hank himself said that there had been thirty prototypes over a period of eighteen months. 1962 is absolutely inescapable. It is possible that development became more urgent in the summer of 1963 (for a couple of reasons), but the genesis of the Burns guitars goes back a fair bit further than that.

"The Shadows were using Fender guitars on stage and television in 1963"

Correct. But also at least one Burns guitar - the Double Six - on stage and TV towards the end of 1963.

"and also in the film Wonderful Life"

As well as one of the Burns Double Sixes - probably the most prominent guitar in the film.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Previous

Return to Gear