Tremolo Replacement.

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Tremolo Replacement.

Postby Bluesnote » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:05 pm

Hi. I was concidering upgrading the trem unit on my Squier Bullet. I've somehow managed to strip the thread on the unit where the arm screws into it and think I'd be as well getting a new one rather than try to repair it. It does'nt perform too well anyway. I wondered if a Fender one would fit it. I'm assuming the Fender one would perform better than a Squier replacement. I just wonder if there are any of you out there have purchased one at any time and would appreciate some feedback on the matter.
Its amazing the difference on each guitar you buy. I got another one in Canada the last time I was there as I took the first one home with me. The new guitars trem performs way much better than the first one. Needed very little adjustment at all. Its the first guitars trem I need to replace. This guitar tends to stick out of pitch once you use it and have to be careful to balance it to keep it in tune when playing. I'm guessing it'll cost me more than the guitar did in the first place :o but its a great guitar and I dont mind a bit of expense to sort it.
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Re: Tremolo Replacement.

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:41 pm

If all you need is a new block then try this guy who makes them . I bought one recently and its good and others on the Shads sites have used him. Tell him what strat you have and he will make a new block to match.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steel-tremolo-sus ... dZViewItem
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Bluesnote » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:54 pm

Thanks Rodger. I'll contact him once I get back home from Canada in the new year ;)
Did'nt realise it was that simple 8-)
Bluesnote

Postby ecca » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:52 pm

I don't think a new block will sort your stability problem Hugh.
ecca

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:06 am

Yeah I know Eric I was thinking that. It seems that the pivot part has'nt been finished off on the first Squier as it has on the second one. I may be able to smooth it off a bit myself wiv a bit of filing and stuff, failing that it looks like a new unit. Wont know til I get back home in jan. Meanwhile I'll just twang away and put some more stuff on youtube hopefully :roll:
At least its too cold over here to get bitten on the toes with deadly insects :D
Bluesnote

Postby ecca » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 am

I fitted a Wilkinson VS100 from Axsrus which is superb and cost about £50.
ecca

Postby kipper » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:00 pm

i have to agree with ecca the wilkinson is a really good trem. one problame you may find is thet the body is thinner on your bullet and the block will stick out the back a bit and the cover wont fit. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Thanks guys. I'll check that out when I return. Actually the body is really thick on this Squier, a lot more so than my Fender I had years ago so it should be ok in that respect. Its still playable but you've got to remember to push the arm down again to keep the tuning after using it on a note or chord, which is a pain when you are already having enough to contend with at the time :roll:
Thats a very modest price I have to say, I was thinking in the hundred region.
Bluesnote

Return to Gear