Wallace Amplifier valve head.

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Wallace Amplifier valve head.

Postby grock » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 pm

Wallace amp for sale model AC5075 XT as used apparently by the Kinks and Jimmy Page in some early years. A common british studio amplifier at the time. I am open to offers I do want to sell it.

"Ted Wallace actually introduced his first guitar amps way back in 1938, beating more illustrious counterparts such as Leo Fender, Tom Jennings and Jim Marshall by a pretty fair margin. Before ceasing manufacture around 40 years later, Ted had built everything from small combos up to 200W heads that were literally a two-man lift! His amps were renowned for low noise, great tone, high build quality, ultra-reliability and clean, distortion-free performance, the latter becoming decidedly unfashionable in the late sixties! However, these attributes made Wallace amps very popular with session players, especially bassists, and users included Jimmy Page, John Paul Jones and Eric Ford.

Wallace also offered equally indestructible speaker cabs, including an early 4x12 example - a format subsequently made famous by Marshall. Ted was one of the first to venture into the powerful PA field, with artists such as Elton John, Jethro Tull and Procul Harum putting his systems to good use.

Many Wallace amps are still doing the business in studios and are highly rated by those 'in the know', but this UK brand is virtually unknown to the majority of players, dealers etc., which amounts to an almost criminal lack of much-deserved recognition. Examples don't come up for sale very often these days and relevant info is even scarcer. In fact the feature published in the June 2006 issue of Guitarist magazine was the first in-depth article to appear - I was effectively writing my own research material!"

Kinks reference : http://creemmagazine.com/_site/BeatGoes ... ks001.html

Fully working and serviced.
Last edited by grock on Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
grock

Re: Wallace Amplifier (London) 1963 pics on request.

Postby hansaustria » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:36 pm

Am I on the right website ?

http://www.wallaceamps.com/Abaddon.htm

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby cockroach » Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:38 am

I remember reading about Wallace amps in Beat Instrumental magazine in the mid '60's - it said that Jimmy Page had one, although Page has said that he used an American Supro, as did Albert Lee- and they both had black 3 pickup Gibson Les Paul Customs at the time.

I must disagree with Ray Davies in that article, his Maton Supreme(made in Australia) was NOT a cheap nasty guitar as he says, it was a very good top of the line model back then and was very expensive...the old Harmony guitars like Dave's were a bit cheapo though.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby grock » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:37 pm

No, www.wallaceamps.com is a contemporary amp maker...same name but not the original company.
grock

Return to Gear