JMI Amps...

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: JMI Amps...

Postby Alainlafrance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:54 pm

Didier wrote:
guitarmonkey01 wrote:Anyone used these yet?
I tried the JMI 15 out the other day in Kew. Stunning amp. Perfect tone...
Wanted to know other peoples thoughts?
Cheers.

At a meeting, I Listened to a comparative test between a Vox AC15H1TV and a JMI 15/4, both sounded very good. The audience had difficulties to agree on which one was the best. Some preferred the JMI, others preferred the Vox.

Didier

Ça date !
It was long ago !
Alain
Alainlafrance

Postby Alainlafrance » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:56 pm

I own both and the Vox AC15H1TV is no match for the JMI , but pricewise it's in another league.
Not to mention that one is made in UK and the other one in PRC.
I had several problems with one
Guess which ?
Alainlafrance

Postby Alainlafrance » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:43 pm

dave robinson wrote:
guitarmonkey01 wrote:Anyone used these yet?

I tried the JMI 15 out the other day in Kew. Stunning amp. Perfect tone...

Wanted to know other peoples thoughts?

Cheers.

My thoughts for what they are worth.
I tried the JMI AC15 and it's good sounding amp - ideal in fact.
On the down
side the company are sh*** with a bad attitude. I know 'cos I wanted to buy the AC30 TV and was treated like sh*** --- told them to stuff it.
Ended up buying the Australian AC30/4 superbly built by Rod Jenks. No regrets judging by the sound on the tour
:thumbdown: :thumbdown:

They don't make special discount for ordinary people like you or I .
Last edited by Alainlafrance on Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alainlafrance

Postby peter roest » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:31 pm

What surprises me is that both amp uses the same valves the same electrical design (exept an extra ECC82 in the JMI only for the vibrato), the same 2 channels and the same speaker. The amps should be sounding the same. The only difference could be the outputtransformer.

Peter
peter roest

Postby Alainlafrance » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:09 pm

peter roest wrote:What surprises me is that both amp uses the same valves the same electrical design (exept an extra ECC82 in the JMI only for the vibrato), the same 2 channels and the same speaker. The amps should be sounding the same. The only difference could be the outputtransformer.

Peter

No, the JMI is a pure clone of the 3rd version of the original version of the VOX AC 15, which is not the case of the VOX which compromises with modern "improvements"
Alainlafrance

Postby peter roest » Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I found out <downloading> the SERVICE MANUAL VOX AC15HTVH that the EF 86 channel (in pentode mode, bass shift on pos.1 and brilliant switch on pos.0) is equal to the JMI
amp considering the old Jennings schematics.
The second channel is a clone of the AC30 (mine 1984) brilliant channel only both parts of the first ECC83 are parallel switched, otherwise there was a half ECC83 spare.
The poweramp (push-pull ECC83) and EL 84's are exactly the same. the only difference could be the output transformer.
I cannot give comment on the quality of both amps, only that my AC15CC1 (china made) is reliable
The second channel of the JMI is a tremolo channel, just like the tremolo channel in my Vox AC30.
In my opinion (I would never buy these amps) is the JMI very poor equiped.

Cheers Peter
peter roest

Postby roger bayliss » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:15 am

peter roest wrote:I found out <downloading> the SERVICE MANUAL VOX AC15HTVH that the EF 86 channel (in pentode mode, bass shift on pos.1 and brilliant switch on pos.0) is equal to the JMI
amp considering the old Jennings schematics.
The second channel is a clone of the AC30 (mine 1984) brilliant channel only both parts of the first ECC83 are parallel switched, otherwise there was a half ECC83 spare.
The poweramp (push-pull ECC83) and EL 84's are exactly the same. the only difference could be the output transformer.
I cannot give comment on the quality of both amps, only that my AC15CC1 (china made) is reliable
The second channel of the JMI is a tremolo channel, just like the tremolo channel in my Vox AC30.
In my opinion (I would never buy these amps) is the JMI very poor equiped.

Cheers Peter

Peter

According to the manual I have for the AC30H2L which I own the brilliance switch is pos 2 to match the original brilliance circuit and all the time I have played it the past 22 months I find that gives the early Shads tones and the bass cut is simply to help cut the muddiness when driving the amp harder I understand although I had a slight mod done to my brill switch to match it nearer the original circuit. Pos 1 the manual states gives a tone similar to the early AC30 Treble amps.

I have owned my chinese made Vox for nearly 2 years and apart from power / rectifier valve replacements it's given good service to date but I accept none of the modern amps have either the build quality of the older models and the components are not as good quality either. People on here have had problems with Blackstar and JMI for instance so it's not just Vox with quality control issues.
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby SteveG » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:22 am

I tried the JMI AC15 and it's good sounding amp - ideal in fact.
On the down side the company are sh*** with a bad attitude. I know 'cos I wanted to buy the AC30 TV and was treated like sh*** --- told them to stuff it.

You're not the only one unhappy with Music Ground at the moment:

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 6675871.jp

-Steve
SteveG

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:00 am

Noted Steve oops

By the way I like your site and the gear you produce 8-)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby keithmantle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:22 pm

I bought a JMI 50th Shads 30/6 TB 9of10, I px'd Some bits and cash(got a fair deal) and found them to be ok, the engraver put the 9 upside down on the anniversary backplate but they forwarded me the correct one within a couple of days, the amp looks and sounds fantastic but is **FORSALE** due to my back probs
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

PreviousNext

Return to Gear