Tape Echo in a Pedal

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Tape Echo in a Pedal

Postby roger bayliss » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:23 pm

Seems a great unit overall with a multi-tap feature built in but not going to be easy to set-up for Shads stuff but the warmth, wobbles, tape artifacts etc are there with built in spring reverb as well. Maybe using two of these could produce a nice warm shads echo. About £250 or better.

http://www.strymon.net/products/elcapistan/

;) :geek:
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Re: Tape Echo in a Pedal

Postby ecca » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:25 am

Roger Bayliss.... are you made of money ???? '2 of these' at £250 a throw ???

It doesn't appear to have any merits at all for us sad Shad anoraks, the crucial head timings are fixed and inflexible, you'd do better with a £19 Ampworks.
ecca

Postby Didier » Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:48 am

Looks fine to emulate a Roland RE-301 as used by Hank in the eigties and ninities (but so does the Roland RE-20), but will not emultate the Meazzi used in the early years.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby PeterV » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:03 am

I know those guys. This unit is from a quality point of view perfect. It is a DSP unit, the guy who programmer it is blessed with a lot of experience in this specific industry. I've asked them to consider echomatic emu's but our requirements are a nice market without expected revenues. The unit is therefore not with our timings and other (meazzi)vintage specific related characteristics. The low-cost unit I'm finishing now does, after my left landing gear is healed, provide for this.

Piet
PeterV

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Hi Piet

I realised that DSP was the technology involved and did wonder why someone could not build something like this for us Meazzi fans... it's got to happen one day soon and you will probably be the man who does it. I too am waiting to see the outcomes of your work and hope its a unit similar to this one kinda Meazzi in a foot pedal ! :)
The echos on the unit are very good and give an indication of what we might expect from your own project to come. The tape artifacts, bias etc are great on these units and a lot of work has gone into re creating the tape echo in these units.

Ecca

I will not be buying them mate just thoughts and of course bringing these to attention and they also give us some idea of what we might expect from Piets efforts and we wish him every success in that. Nice pedals but often wondered with the pedal market if the prices are fair for what they are.. I know it's all about sales volume and production ... and if you want some thing bad enough you will pay the price. The Copicat Gold is nearer a 1000 pounds so I wondered for under £500 if it would be of interest to someone . With Piet's project it's going to be worth the wait if we get something with Meazzi sounds in a little box we can run our guitars into. Anyway I thought you had more money than me !!! :D
roger bayliss

Postby PeterV » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:45 pm

Roger, I've broken my leg and allowed to touch the floor in 2 weeks time so I can restart my project. I've included here a first sample of the echomatic 2 EMU obtained during a setup check a while back. Obviously, I'm not a blessed guitar player but it provides, I think, a first glims of what's forthcoming. http://www.echotapper.nl/soundfiles/Lillemore.mp3 there is some plate added that's possible a bit over the top. The solo is kept above to rest so you possible can hear that special E2 pattern. When 'back in the saddle' I'll get a good guitar player to demo some Shadows stuff.

The material cost is presently 65 euro as a kit you build yourself ( yes, standard components) that is excluding 3 potentiometers,selector,mains adapter en enclosure because you decide the housing! It's a minimal configuration that could be extended with additional non linear tape artifacts who are better kept outside the possibilities of DSP technology.

Piet
PeterV

Postby Bojan » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Sounds fantastic Piet . . . Got any more sound files?

Wow, I can hardly wait for you to finish this project !!! :)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:18 pm

Piet

Hope the leg mends well..
The sound is good and I agree with Bojan it's going to be interesting to watch this develop and come to fruition . Might be a good idea to demo a traditional early shads tune like Wonderful Land for comparasions with the Echomatic 2 and not use any reverb in the mix so we can hear the echos . Just a thought
roger bayliss

Postby John Boyd » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:44 pm

Hello Piet,
I too am waiting in anticipation for the completion of this project.
A traditional Shadows instro using your unit would be most welcome.
Christmas Greetings and I hope you are 'on your feet' again soon.
Cheers,
JB
John Boyd

Full Real Name: John Boyd

Postby ecca » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:37 pm

John Boyd wrote:Hello Piet,
I too am waiting in anticipation for the completion of this project.
A traditional Shadows instro using your unit would be most welcome.
Christmas Greetings and I hope you are 'on your feet' again soon.
Cheers,
JB

et moi
ecca

Next

Return to Gear