H+H Multi Echo Unit....late '60's?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

H+H Multi Echo Unit....late '60's?

Postby stephen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:00 pm

I was mooching around the used section of this Ipswich music shop the other day and saw this H+H tape Multi Echo Unit for sale at £195.

I know that there are quite a few Shadows enthusiasts that have an interest in this type of kit, so thought that some of you might want to take a look. I realise that it probably isn't in the Meazzi league that tends to get you all drooling at the mouth.........but who knows, it may be of use to someone with shallower pockets and smaller ego!

If you go onto this website, select 'Effects' from the left-hand navigation menu, click on 'Secondhand' and scroll down until you find it. Out of interest, do let me know if anyone rates/buys it.

http://www.westendmusic.co.uk

Stephen.
stephen

Re: H+H Multi Echo Unit....late '60's?

Postby JimN » Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:13 pm

Definitely not 1960s.

The two models of the H-H echo machine (single sliding head and multiple-head) were made and sold in the mid-to-late 1970s. I was thinking of buying one in 1976, but they were a bit expensive (around £160, when I was earning about £40 a week).

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:30 pm

The H|H echo unit in the picture is indeed a seventies model and a very good one too. It has four heads and eight selectors, four for the heads and four to select regeneration. It won't recreate excactly the Meazzi patterns (because of tape speed and head positions) but will offer a very good Binson impression. I have had one of these and they are good machines.That is a fair price too . . . . :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby BrianD » Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:01 am

I used one of these when I played in The Shudders in the early '80s. It was fine, good sound and reliable as far as I recall but I changed to a Roland Space Echo after a couple of years. Long time ago now but there was a very good reason for changing - if only I could remember what it was!!

Brian
BrianD

Full Real Name: Brian Dandridge

Postby neil2726 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:31 pm

As Hank said "it's because you could!"
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby RUSSET » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:02 pm

I had one of those H&H Multihead models about ten years ago, & it sounded great .... when it was working. It had a lush quality to it's sound. I suppose in today's lingo it would be called 'warm'. Trouble was, that, as with many tape echoes, the tape used to keep fouling up, & I really hadn't got the mechanical knowledge to sort it out, so I sold it for £85. :o

Tony.
RUSSET

Return to Gear