Am I just lucky?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Am I just lucky?

Postby Mike Honey » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:37 pm

I call myself a professional guitarist because its what i do for a living. I play here in France in a sixties duo and also do a cabaret act where I play shadows hits to my self-made backing tracks. I play an American Standard Strat though a Fender FM212r (the cheapest Fender 100 watt amp there is) , a Behringer echo pedal and a Boss chorus pedal. I would never dream of playing in front of purist Shadows fans but the people i entertain seem to like it! I had a comment the other night 'oh merci, you sound just like Hank'' ( which i clearly dont). It goes to show that you can fool some of the people,,, all of the time.... etc etc!! Maybe one day I will be able to buy a Vox amp, a Meazzi echo etc but will i get more gigs? Dunno!!

mike
Mike Honey

Re: Am I just lucky?

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Its music no matter what or how you play thats important. Its still Shadows music irrespective of whether its identical or not.
I got a Behringer delay pedal here in Canada a few weeks ago for the equivelent of 25 quid and mixing it with the Valvetronic 15w's own delay,(someone here posted a youtube link on how to mix two delay units) I can get a pretty good Shads echo on the cheap.
I'm not one of the purists, I'm more of a 'play it the way I like it' type of player, as long as it sounds ok to my ears.
I used to copy Shad music note for note in my early years but now I play it the way I hear it.
As for the audience appreciation thing....When I played in the band in the eighties, playing at a wedding for instance, the band would play something really good musically and get no response from the punters, then we'd play something really garbage like a c&w or the like and they'd go crazy :roll: I never could figure that one out. I guess the vast majority of people have simple tastes, who knows.
I'd like to try that going out with backing tracks and doing my own thing, but I dont know that it'd do too well in the Glasgow area.
Might get a Glasgow kiss for my troubles :o
Thats a head butt to the people in here thats never experienced such a pleasure :lol:
Bluesnote

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Bluesnote wrote:Its music no matter what or how you play thats important. Its still Shadows music irrespective of whether its identical or not.
I got a Behringer delay pedal here in Canada a few weeks ago for the equivelent of 25 quid and mixing it with the Valvetronic 15w's own delay,(someone here posted a youtube link on how to mix two delay units) I can get a pretty good Shads echo on the cheap.
I'm not one of the purists, I'm more of a 'play it the way I like it' type of player, as long as it sounds ok to my ears.
I used to copy Shad music note for note in my early years but now I play it the way I hear it.
As for the audience appreciation thing....When I played in the band in the eighties, playing at a wedding for instance, the band would play something really good musically and get no response from the punters, then we'd play something really garbage like a c&w or the like and they'd go crazy :roll: I never could figure that one out. I guess the vast majority of people have simple tastes, who knows.
I'd like to try that going out with backing tracks and doing my own thing, but I dont know that it'd do too well in the Glasgow area.
Might get a Glasgow kiss for my troubles :o
Thats a head butt to the people in here thats never experienced such a pleasure :lol:

So are you in Canada or Glasgow Hugh? :roll:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:08 pm

Canada on extended holiday at the moment but back at the end of the month, snow and volcanoes permitting :D
Bluesnote

Postby Didier » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:45 pm

Mike Honey wrote:Maybe one day I will be able to buy a Vox amp, a Meazzi echo etc but will i get more gigs?

mike

Hi Mike,

Probably not in the Dordogne region ! ;)

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Return to Gear