Amps used on the last Cliff & Shadows tour

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Amps used on the last Cliff & Shadows tour

Postby ErikMAMS » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:07 am

rehear_1.jpg
(128.95 KiB) Downloaded 5390 times

From rehearsals.

Erik
ErikMAMS

Postby hansaustria » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:03 pm

Definitely a TB model. Seems that BW used the normal input for his rhythmplaying!

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby StuartD » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:21 pm

Hans

I did not intend to offend you and i am sure you have a wonderful amp but for those of us in the UK who have known Music Ground for many years, nothing would surprise them. Check the news links for Rick Harrison.

Regards

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby SteveG » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:11 am

Hello,

As I have posted elsewhere on the board, I built the six AC30 style amplifiers that were used by The Shadows on their tour.

I can confirm that all of them were the six input models, three with the add-on top boost and three without. No four input models were built or supplied for the tour. At the time of the tour, I had not built any four-input amplifiers for some time. I still have the voltage measurements I made at the time, and a note of the amplifiers' serial numbers.

I have since stopped building amplifiers for Music Ground. The amplifiers they sell as the Shadows Tour model are built by someone else.

I have no idea what the four input amplifier in the photo is, but I would treat it with a very great deal of caution.

Steve
SteveG

Postby SteveG » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:37 am

...If you look at the voltage selector shown in one of the photos, it's placed on top of the black panel. It should be attached underneath. If you look very closely you'll also notice that it has no screws in it!

The green light is a Hiwatt part. The vib/trem input jacks should be white, and the speed switch knob is facing in the wrong direction.

Apparently, when Cliff signed the back panel, he nicked one of the screws that holds the chassis in.

Draw your own conclusions!

Steve
SteveG

Postby hansaustria » Fri Jan 28, 2011 6:43 am

Hi Steve, the website of MG says that 10 were built. Who built the
other four amps? Or is this a wrong information.

Hans

You have a nice website !
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby StuartD » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:52 am

SteveG wrote:...If you look at the voltage selector shown in one of the photos, it's placed on top of the black panel. It should be attached underneath. If you look very closely you'll also notice that it has no screws in it!

The green light is a Hiwatt part. The vib/trem input jacks should be white, and the speed switch knob is facing in the wrong direction.

Apparently, when Cliff signed the back panel, he nicked one of the screws that holds the chassis in.

Draw your own conclusions!

Steve

Stuart
;)
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby SteveG » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:56 pm

Hi Hans,

Six were built by me for the tour. I think Music Ground subsequently built ten amplifiers that were marketed as the 'Shadows Tour' model (basically a 'badging' excercise), but never actually used by The Shadows. I believe they had one of their techs build them.

They were touted as having special 'tone modifications' which in reality did not exist. Since I built the original six to my own specifications, if they had been any different I'd be the only person who would know.

BTW, I'm talking about the electronic chassis here - I didn't have anything to do with the cabinets.

Steve
SteveG

Previous

Return to Gear