changing strat volume control

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

changing strat volume control

Postby Mike Honey » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:34 pm

Did something today that i had been meaning to do for years. Probably due to my playing style I have always touched the volume control and turned down/up by accident, so whilst giving the guitar a setup and clean I changed the pot to the mid pick-up tone control position (ie down the bottom out of the way!)/ I find it just as easy and quick to alter the volume if neccessary. (and have never been into 'violining'.) I really should have done it years ago!!! Anybody else done this ?
Mike Honey

Re: changing strat volume control

Postby Jay Bass » Thu Jan 27, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi Mike
i have the same problem when playing a strat, the little finger on the right hand catches the volume knob.
i havent changed them round, i just pull the plastic volume knob off and just leave the metal shaft showing
i dont seem to catch it then.

Regards
Jay
Jay Bass

Full Real Name: Jay Van Harte

Postby cockroach » Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:43 pm

I think Jet similarly removed the knob on his Strat for the same reason.

I've never had too much trouble hitting the volume control whilst playing, but when the small cap comes off a Strat or Tele lever switch, leaving the sharp metal blade exposed, you can really shred your hand then! And watch out for more shredded hands from the bridge adjustment screws on the string saddles too...dangerous things, Strats! I have finished a set at a gig before now, and glanced down to see the scratchplate literally speckled with blood!

In a Stratocaster book I've seen, there is a picture of a modified Strat made by an employee for his own use in the factory back in the '50's, the three knobs and switch have been moved to a position following the right hand edge of the scratchplate, well out of the way, so it's not a new problem but it's not insoluble either - but it did make the guitar look odd though!
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:27 pm

Its one of the things I like about the Strat is the closeness of the volume. Just nice for catching with my pinky for volume control and swell notes.
Depends on how you play I suppose. I tend to pick nearer the neck so I suppose I dont have the problem of catching the control quite the same as some players.
Bluesnote

Postby Paul Childs » Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:46 pm

One reason why I prefer Telecasters.
Paul Childs

Return to Gear