Fender Crash Guitars

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fender Crash Guitars

Postby stephen » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:19 pm

On the subject of Clapton Stratocasters, has anyone ever seen the Gold Leaf one that Todd Krause produced for him? Talk about bling..................

I thought that my 'all gold', Mexican, 'Homer Haynes' 50th Anniversary one, looked the business until I saw that one. Still a fantastic playing & sounding guitar though and really not worth changing just for the sake of having a Fiesta Red one, irreverent as that might sound!

Stephen.
stephen

Postby OLDEREK » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi Stephen.... Thanks for that link...........Yes I am going to build one myself, I've had the paint for about a year now, it's hard to know which is the one I like the most out of the fifty made, I may nick a bit from each design...........I have posted a picture here of the Strelecastor I built last year.......... :oops: :D

PICT4504.JPG
Strelecastor
(101.88 KiB) Downloaded 5376 times
OLDEREK

Postby dave robinson » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:22 pm

The one I like best was used on 'Concert For George' in 2004. It's known as 'Crash 1' I did include a link to the page on my earlier post.
The one that Derek posted is a lousy design by comparison and doesn't look as cool as the one I mentioned.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby ecca » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:55 pm

How ghastly !
ecca

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:25 am

A copy of the 'right one' for sale here Derek Ebay item 330525121545 :D
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby stephen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 am

That's THE one, Dave! I'm definitely tempted, but don't think that I'd be able to get away with the old dodge of telling my wife that it's one that I've had for ages, that she obviously hadn't noticed before.....!

The red bit looks almost Fiesta-ish. Would certainly cause a stir at a local Shadows club.....

On the subject of eBay, did anyone on this site buy that 1964 Burns Marvin for £4,800 yesterday?????

Stephen.
stephen

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:36 pm

I have seen several of these now and 'Crash 1' as they call it is the only one I think looks good. IMHO the artist didn't recapture the 'coolness' of the first attempt. This guitar is a 'want' for me, rather than a need, so I will have to pass on it I'm afraid.:)

As for the Burns on Ebay, I think that if it was an original and someone has that kind of money floating around then why not - but I would never pay anything like that for a guitar unless it was something special and had history or was owned and cherished by the man himself. Other than that an old guitar is what it is, an old guitar, I'd rather have a nice new one ta. Remember that those guitars were new when they made the music we love. ;)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby OLDEREK » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:50 am

Hi I've Just had a email from Mick Johnson who has only just seen this thread, Mick tells me he built two Crash Strats last year, one for Mick (lead guitar in Smokie), " I done the body only and copied roughly from the Clapton Crash strat as Mick wasn't too bothered so I took a bit 'artistic license "

The other was for Torstein from The Saunters (Norway), a more accurate copy was made, (thats the guitar sat on the black chair)

Mick Johnson said I can put his photos on this thread, so take a look at his handywork,on the second picture the very bottom guitar is the real thing.... :D

I've started in earnest now with my own Crash Style Strat, along with about four others that are in different stages..............So maybe in about a year I may have it done ! ! :D :D

MICKS CRASH 3.jpg
(62.79 KiB) Downloaded 5299 times
smokie 1.jpg
(49.49 KiB) Downloaded 5299 times
OLDEREK

Postby ecca » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:30 am

Looks great Spuddy.
ecca

Postby OLDEREK » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:20 pm

I have been looking and reading anything about these guitars over the last couple of weeks, it seems that John ( Crash) Matos painted five for Eric Clapton before Fenders 50.

It says only three have been played in public, but in Wheres Eric issue 15 it showed photos of all of them, I would love to see the unseen two...........

My Strat body is now in primer, and is under starters orders, I hope to take a bit of the design from all fifty for mine....... :D

Will my Crash look alike be the first to play Shadowmusic ! :o

Here is part of my paint stock waiting to spray !! :D
PICT4590.JPG
Colour Heaven
(59.88 KiB) Downloaded 5258 times
OLDEREK

PreviousNext

Return to Gear