pinnacle twin 30

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

pinnacle twin 30

Postby kipper » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:25 pm

hi all i just brought a pinnacle twin 30 amplifier only had it a few days so still getting used to it. the tolex is oxblood sort of redish brown. i am told that they were all covered in white tolex at the factory so it would seem someone had this one recovered. does anyone here know about this amp being recovered. just trying to find out if it was a factory special or what ever. thanks peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Re: pinnacle twin 30

Postby bazmusicman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:06 am

Hi Peter,

If you contact Charlie Hall (of EFTP) he may be able to shed some light on why you have a red one.

I think you will find that they were all in white Tolex when new. I was at Charlie Hall's house when he had about four or five to sell after the Shads Europe Tour.
I should have bought one, he gave me a good price and they were boxed. I was having back trouble at the time and I thought they were too heavy for me to lift.

Best regards,
Baz.
bazmusicman

Full Real Name: barry palmer

Postby Tone » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:53 pm

Hi

I have a Pinnacle (white tolex) and it's a great amp. I thought about selling it when I got my Vox AC15 Heritage but I decided to keep it and I use them both.

Baz - I also find it very heavy to lift (it's about the same weight as an AC30), even without a bad back!!

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Postby kipper » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:48 pm

thanks baz i have been in touch with charlie and he doesent know anything about the different tolex, he thinks it may have been done after leaving the factory. peter
kipper

Postby Abbeyroadie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:04 am

Hi Peter,
If I'm right this particular amp was offered on ebay a few times recently and came with a non standard speaker set up.
We did make one with 1 x Celestion Vintage 30 + 1 x the Celestion lightweight molybendium 12" as an experiment I believe this latter speaker was changed by the last owner, I think if I remember correctly you will find that speaker was sold - see his feedback. In our opinion The original Jensen C12's were better.
Anyway thats not what you wanted to know.....so NO all of the Pinnacle combo's were made with the cream tolex and black fret cloth , the only variations being Hank's that were made with a head & cab set up, this particular amp was recovered and judging by the looks of it (if of course it was the one on ebay ) then it's not tolex either.
I seem to recall that this amp when originally? sold went north of the border but it's a while ago and I could be wrong - Alan any knowledge ???
Once Charlie had sorted one or two problems out these were great amp amps and still are, great shame that suggested mods were not carried out by the original designer due to the mods being Charlie's idea not his prior to Hanks' tour.
Peter Alden EFTP
Abbeyroadie

Postby dave robinson » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:19 am

Too right about the mods Pete. The said engineer didn't only shoot himself in the foot when he ommited those mods, he blew his b******s off ! :lol:
I still sometimes use the original 'Strat Pack' one that you sold me with the Jensen P-12s', it's great sounding amp.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby dave robinson » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 am

dave robinson wrote:Too right about the mods Pete. The said engineer didn't only shoot himself in the foot when he ommited those mods, he blew his b******s off ! :lol:
I still sometimes use the original 'Strat Pack' one from the Wembley concert that you sold me with the Jensen P-12s', it's great sounding amp.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Abbeyroadie » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:33 am

Hi Dave,
Yes it's ironic that the "strat pack" amp you had came from the same designer with no further mods and never failed - that I know of that is.
I think the last time we spoke about the subject you told me that the amp had been gigged 000's of times with no problems.
The decision to go ahead with the Pinnacle project was taken on the basis of that amp and it's success at the Strat Pack rehearsals/concert.
Although Hank used his KCP Marvin's he did if I remember correctly pass good comments on the Pinnacles.
Anyway what are you doing up and about at this time of the morning - I thought you guitar hero's played and slept in late..... ;)
Good to hear from you mate....
Peter
Abbeyroadie

Postby AlanMcKillop » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Hi Peter, I've filled in Peter (kipper) re what I got and to whom I sold it onto (also north of the border), so if it was mine, he is aware of the first two owners and it's condition as it left you (or Charlie). :thumbup:
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby kipper » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:37 pm

peter thanks for that information very helpfull. you are right its not tolex. its like a very fine leather doesent look cheap or as if its been done cheaply looks a pro job. i think it is the one alan owned he passed it on to another member gary who i have been in touch with, it was white when he sold it, the person i brought it from didnt change it so just one missing link now. also thanks to alan and gary for there help on this. i must add its a great amp how they never sold in great numbers is sad really as it is better than loads of other amps out there all hand point to point wireing ef 86 channel what more can you want. peter
kipper

Next

Return to Gear