Would you call this a good deal

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Would you call this a good deal

Postby The Badge Man » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:59 pm

I just saw a add on Ebay to sell a Fender Strat and Vox Amp, It said Guitar Avenue are pleased to offer this starter pack just like Hanks !!! and then I looked at the price tag

Do have a look Item No - 270704780366 am I reading the price tag correctly
The Badge Man

Re: Would you call this a good deal

Postby Pat Seaman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:09 pm

C'mon Eric, that's a bargain!

Treat yourself.

Pat.
Pat Seaman

Postby s4wgb » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:29 pm

Last edited by s4wgb on Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s4wgb

Postby dave robinson » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:46 pm

A good deal for who exactly ? They're 'avin' a larf. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby stratmantd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:35 am

dave robinson wrote:A good deal for who exactly ? They're 'avin' a larf. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I quite agree. Do people really pay amounts like that for a modern guitar that's built to alleged dated specs, to appear to have been kept in a cupboard and brought out and played a few times a year?

I'm sorry, but guitars are made to be played, not bought as collectors' items. If you want a guitar that appears to be old, well-played, well-loved, buy a secod-hand one, not some ultra modern "distressed" over-priced plank that need to be played-in, adjusted, re-strung, etc. to get a decent sound from it.

Oh, and although the seller has included pictures of Fender spares and a certificate (serial number blanked out on certificate and guiter, why?) the logos on the headstock look as if they have been Photoshopped onto the picture.
Last edited by stratmantd on Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
stratmantd

Postby dave robinson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 am

stratmantd wrote:
dave robinson wrote:A good deal for who exactly ? They're 'avin' a larf. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I quite agree. £1265.00 forthat?

The Fender logos have been Photoshopped onto the pictures for a start. The pictures themself have been taken at "artistic" angles which don't really give you much chance to examine them very closely.

Caveat Emptor methinks.

Which guitar are you looking at Tom - I can only see a geniune Fender Strat on each of those we are looking at.
:roll:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby bob t » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 am

Love the description

No. of Strings: 5 string plus one

Is this a new type of set up ?

Bob T
bob t

Full Real Name: Robert Timmins

Postby dave robinson » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:22 am

Why did you change your post Tom as it is going to confuse the thread for those reading? Luckily I copied the original one and answsered it.

When I made the 'avin' a larf comment, I was referring to the Vox amp and Fender Stat in the header post that Eric was pointing out on eBay for over £50,000.

The guitar that you are referring to is a great instrument and completely genuine and the price is very fair - I know because I have a reissue USA '62 Strat which is similar spec although 'unaged'. Do you have such an instrument? If not I would respectfully suggest that you choose your words more carefully because those of us who own similar instruments can see that you don't really understand what you are talking about. I understand that you don't agree with the 'relicing' process and I agree with you, but it's still a great sounding and playing instrument. As one who owns several Fenders', some Masterbuilt some Japanese and some Mexican, I can tell you that by comparison, this guitar makes the bog standard USA, JAP and MEXICAN Strats feel and sound like the 'planks' you seem to know a lot about. Also I would add that the Fender logo on that instrument is not 'Photoshop', that is how they look after 40/50 years on a well preserved instrument from that period.
You should try the guitars before rubbishing them, especially when one of our members is offering a great instrument for sale.
Please don't take offence at this, I am just pointing out facts that you clearly don't know about.:)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby David Martin » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:16 pm

Dave's right Tom. That's a superb Custom Shop guitar at the price of an American Vintage series... and we know the man to be absolutely genuine.

D
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby stratmantd » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:38 pm

Oops! I got the ebay things mixed up. I apologise to Stuart but I still think that the price is extremely high for a new guitar.

No. I do not have a re-issue model, I bought mine in 1976 when you could get a Fender Stratocaster guitar. No re-issue, no relic, no closet, no left in the bathroom to get warped, no MIM, MIC, CIJ, MIJ, etc.

I have no doubt that modern guitars play extrememy well in the right hands but I do not believe that it is a real re-issue unless it has all the "faults" that some people immediately "correct". Why would people go on and on about changing the pickups, replacing the tremelo unit, etc. if they want a carbon-copy of an old instrument? Let's be honest about it; if the pickups are changed then it is no longer the same as the original instrument.

Anyway, I thought that this site was supposed to be about the music; it seems to have become a discussion site regarding the rapidly increasing number of variations of basically the same guitar.
stratmantd

Next

Return to Gear