Muriatic Acid

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Muriatic Acid

Postby Dale1963 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Does anyone where I can purchase Muriatic Acid from? I'm looking to age some parts and told that Muriatic acid is the kiddy for the job. I have google shopped it but there seems to be really only one place with loads of variations of types. Is there anywhere I could buy it 'off the shelf' does anyone know?

Thanks

Dale
Dale1963

Re: Muriatic Acid

Postby kipper » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:28 pm

you can get it forom hardware shops or builders type shops. cant think of the trade name but its used for unblocking drains. dont put the parts in it, get a plastic container put the fluid in that not a lot, then get a smaller plastic container put the parts in that and float it in the first container seal it with a lid and leave it couple hours. time depends on how aged you want it to look. its the fumes that do the work. when its done wash parts warm or hot water. it really does work well. but be aware of the fumes they are very strong and corisive. if i can remember the name i will put it up.

Hydrochloric Acid is the word we use in england instead of muriatc acid still cant think of that name.
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby John Brown » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:39 am

If Muriatic Acid is Hydrochloric Acid then you require Brick acid from a builders merchants which is generally 28% strength HCl and will definitely require diluting.
Best Regards
John
John Brown

Full Real Name: John Brown

Postby geoff1711 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:40 am

What you are thinking of, as far as builders merchants are concerned, is Spirits of Salts, diluted it's good for quenching model boilers after silver soldering, as for ageing guitar parts I would think you'd have to be quite careful you didn't over do it.

At one Builders merchant I worked at in the 70's, long before health and safety, our cleaner used to liberally use it to clean the Gent's toilets, remember all those urinal stools in a line with ribbed floor tiles? if you were the first to pee in the trough after he'd been round it almost gassed you and your shoes would smoke as you stood there.

There was also Killed Spirits which I think was just about the same but the edge had been taken off by submersing zinc in the mix prior to bottling. that would probably be gentler.

The only question I have is WHY?

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby Dale1963 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:34 am

Hi and thank you all for your responses. I did buy a bottle of Hydrochloric acid but it must have been the wrong strength as It did bugger all! It didn't even have any smell to it!

As far as I can gather there are varying strengths of Muriactic, I just want to make sure I get the right one. I have heard that builder places do it in the form of a concrete cleaner? I'll pop into my local Wickes today and have a look.

I do intend to be extremely careful, I'll try it a few times on some odd bits of chrome I have kicking about.

Why? you ask Geoff. Well it's part of an on going project on a Squire, sunburst, pre stressed body that I bought. Basically I want to 'age' the tuners and perhaps the bridge and jack plate.

Thanks again to all for your comments, I'll keep you informed as to how I get on.

No Fenders will be harmed during the making of this project.
Dale1963

Postby David Martin » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:47 pm

My luthier recommends just burying metal parts in soil in the garden for a week or so... while you're busy making neck, body and fingerboard...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Dale1963 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:08 pm

I've been told today of another method - Ferric Chloride Solution (PCB Etchant) Apparently this can be applied using a cotton wool bud, but again caution should be taken as it is highly corrosive. It is a solution used for etching PCB boards, so I'm told.
:shock: So, in the absence of Muriatic acid for the time being,. I've ordered a bottle of this stuff. :evil:
Dale1963

Postby ELET » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:29 pm

David Martin wrote:My luthier recommends just burying metal parts in soil in the garden for a week or so... while you're busy making neck, body and fingerboard...

Yes that's what I do when I'm putting new screws etc. on an old guitar. They then don't stand out like a sore thumb. I've also put one of my Tele "partscasters" out to sunbathe in the summer in order to tone down the newness of the finish. I think that these "natural" ageing methods are a lot more controlable than using chemicals.
ELET

Postby kipper » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:27 pm

kipper wrote:you can get it forom hardware shops or builders type shops. cant think of the trade name but its used for unblocking drains. dont put the parts in it, get a plastic container put the fluid in that not a lot, then get a smaller plastic container put the parts in that and float it in the first container seal the first container with a lid and leave it couple hours maybe longer. time depends on how aged you want it to look. its the fumes that do the work. when its done wash parts warm or hot water. it really does work well. but be aware of the fumes they are very strong and corisive. if i can remember the name i will put it up.

Hydrochloric Acid is the word we use in england instead of muriatc acid still cant think of that name.

spirt of salts is the name its about 36%. if you use it in the way i have said it will work fine i have done it with great results. dont dilute it at all its the fumes that do the work. may take 4 hours on some bits allnight on others. peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby Dale1963 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:34 am

Thanks again to all responses, so Peter, it's Spirit of Salts then eh? I'll give that a try, I'm keen to try a few methods until I get it right. :D
Dale1963

Next

Return to Gear