Pick Ups on this video.

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Pick Ups on this video.

Postby eugene » Thu May 19, 2011 11:49 am

Hi ! There.

Does any one know what brand these pick ups are on Hank's strat ?(from 2:45)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93FiO5bl ... re=related

So sorry for my poor English.

eugene
eugene

Full Real Name: yuji yamaguchi

Re: Pick Ups on this video.

Postby StuartD » Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Hi

A Fender Humbucker at the neck, Gibson Humbucker at the bridge and a Di Marzio FS1 in the middle. I think!!

Stuart
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Postby JimN » Thu May 19, 2011 6:03 pm

Assuming that Eugene is asking about the black Stratocaster seen from 0:56 in the video, the pickup complement at that stage was as Stuart describes it with a couple of (small) exceptions.

The neck pickup was a Gibson humbucker (one made in 1972 when Gibson were temporarily embossing their brand name on the pickup cover in order to distinguish them from copies).

The bridge pickup was a Fender Wide Range Humbucker (designed by Seth Lover - the man who designed the humbucking pickup for Gibson in the first place). The Fender WRHB was used on the Telecaster Custom and Deluxe and would later be used on the Starcaster. Fender are currently making a reissue, but knowledgeable people tell me that it sounds more like a generic humbucker than the original Fender item did.

Pictures:

Gibson 1972 "embossed" pickups: http://www.bestguitars.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/guitar-1759681305139229070.jpg

Fender WRHB (a reissue, identical on outside): http://www.macdaddymusicstore.com/catalog/fender-72telehb.jpg

The middle pickup at that time was the ordinary Fender Stratocaster pickup. The DiMarzio range was not yet in production (!), but Hank certainly used a DiMarzio Fat Strat pickup later on (1977 onward) when he had returned that guitar to its all-single-coil state.

HTH,

JN

PS: Whilst it was outfitted with that combination of pickups, Hank's Strat bore the Gibson brand name on the neck pickup and the Fender logo on the bridge pickup.

PPS: The Gibson pickup was originally fitted in the bridge position (c. 1973) and was a bridge-position model, which is why the polepieces are - unusually - at the bridge end of the pickup when fitted in the neck position, presumably in order to keep the embossed logo the "right" way up. This was a problem with the embossed pickups if swapped from one position to another.
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby geoff1711 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:29 pm

Hi Jim n All

the current Fender Blacktop Strats and Teles have quite low power humbuckers, I have a set on one of mine, to my ears they sound pretty good, fuller than a single coil but certainly twangier and with a better high response than you would expect, good for Chuck Berry and anything played on humbuckers in the early 60's not so good for death metal though.

I guess they probably sound like noiseless P90's

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby eugene » Mon May 23, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks geoff for a nice information about new Fender blacktop humbeckers.

By the way, I was wonderling if Hank used neck pick up.

He used middle on Foot Tapper, Flingel bunt,etc.

But,I don't think Hank uses neck pick up, Fender,Burns or Kinman.

So sorry for my poor English.

eugene
eugene

Full Real Name: yuji yamaguchi

Return to Gear