Akai Headrush anybody?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Akai Headrush anybody?

Postby Graylion » Mon May 23, 2011 10:01 pm

As I like to collect echo units I like the sound of one of these - well, not actually the sound as I haven't heard one yet! £129 on eBay for the E2. Has anyone tried one and do they give multi-tap echoes? I downloaded the manual but it doesn't make it clear. (I'll probably post this Q on Charlie's site too.)
Cheers
Lionel
Graylion

Re: Akai Headrush anybody?

Postby Simon Underwood » Tue May 24, 2011 8:37 am

Hi Lionel,

I had one of these for a while, and only got rid of it when I moved on to EFTP.

They're excellent units, especially for the price, and can do a 4 head tape echo simulation. There's individual outputs for each virtual head, and you can switch any of the 'heads' off by inserting a plug in the relevant socket. One of the controls lets you vary the head spacing, which will give the effect of the echoes tripping over themselves.

When gigging, I used this for the fast multi-head echoes on things like Wonderful Land and Atlantis. The rest of the numbers were taken care of by a Line 6 DL4. This was good with the tape echo simulations, but not as flexible as the Akai. It wasn't a 100% accurate Meazzi simulation, but it got close.

If you want to hear one in use for this very purpose, have a listen to the mp3 of Wonderful Land on the Gallery/ sound files page on my band's website,

www.specsappealband.co.uk

The other three numbers were the Line 6.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Postby Graylion » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm

Thanks Simon, It wouldn't be used as a substitute for an EFTP programmed unit. I have become a collector of echoes so it's just to have a variation/comparison of sounds. I have a Zoom RFX2000 and RFX2200 (both EFTP); 2 x 508's (1 with Charlie's patches, 1 with Geoff Strachan's); a Magicstomp with Charlie's patches; a Binson B1 and an EC3; a Klemt Echolette 'S'; a Dynacord Echocord Super 62 and numerous multi-effect racks and pedals which include echo. I didn't intend to become a collector - it just happened gradually!

I listened to your "Wonderful Land". Did you use reverb as well as echo? The rest of the band seems a bit lost in the background!
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby Simon Underwood » Tue May 24, 2011 3:27 pm

The recordings were straight off the stereo tape outs on the desk with a bit of reverb added, and a lot of the actual live sound in the hall was direct from the backline and the drums, so the recordings don't completely reflect what the audience heard. These four were probably the best mix from the recording point of view. I didn't have any additional reverb on my guitar.

Cheers,

Simon
Simon Underwood

Full Real Name: Simon Underwood

Postby geoff1711 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:36 pm

Don't most people buy these for the looper function? from memory (No pun intended) I think this is the unit made famous by K T Tunstall on Black Horse and a Cherry Tree.

Whilst the Digitech and the Boss loopers have various addresses you can store loops to, most people who loop live seem to use the Akai.

Last year a young guy called Ed played a Baby Taylor through one of these plus mic at my niece's 21st party and what he could achieve was quite amazing, he currently has landed himself a recording contract so I hear/
geoff1711

Return to Gear