A new slant on Fiesta Red?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: A new slant on Fiesta Red?

Postby dave robinson » Tue May 31, 2011 10:50 pm

JimN wrote:For what it's worth, I think that the real point is that many of the Fender guitars (Strat, Precision, Jazz and Jazzmanster) sold in Europe in the 1960s as "red" (the designation used by both Jennings and Selmer) were probably not Fiesta Red at all, but one of these later reds whose names are not so well known.

As an addition to that, I wonder whether many of the players on a quest for the red originally seen on 34363 are really influenced by the colour scheme from the period when the Shads were using the all-red batch(es) of guitars (mid-1961-early 1963) - which may not have been even intended by Fender to be Fiesta Red.

JN

Life's too short. :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Amanda » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:25 am

It sure is Dave,

I wish this subject could be banned!! :lol: :lol:
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby JimN » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:40 am

What subject?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:10 pm

'One mans meat is anothers poison', frankly, what harm does it do and if it's not your cup of tea, just walk on by. :?
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby OLDEREK » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:31 pm

AlanMcKillop wrote:'One mans meat is anothers poison', frankly, what harm does it do and if it's not your cup of tea, just walk on by. :?

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
OLDEREK

Postby Martyn » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 am

AlanMcKillop wrote:'One mans meat is anothers poison', frankly, what harm does it do and if it's not your cup of tea, just walk on by. :?

Precisely. Some of us find paint colour an interesting and even fascinating subject - I have to accurately reproduce specific colours for my living so getting them 'right' is absolutely vital. It follows that such attention to detail may be equally important to others for whatever reason and just as interesting as researching the types of wood/pickups/strings used by one specific bespectacled bloke at certain periods of history - and I don't hear anyone trivialising that subject. Each to his/her own. :|
Going back in my box now . . . :P
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby OLDEREK » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 am

I think what we all need to remember is, we all wanted to know about loads of things when these sites first started, and just because a question has been asked a thousand times before it's always interesting to all the new members that were not around then, after all this is a discussion board...........I feel we have lost a lot of members looking in because they fear they will be got at for their views on subjects ..........We need to get back to basics, and if anyone is fed up with the same old chat on here don't look at it and comment at all.............I get told all the time "I stay away from Shadowmusic now because they jump on you if they don't like what you ask or say" !!.......
Have a nice day :D
OLDEREK

Postby Terry B » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:57 pm

Very subjective this! I bought a Mexican 50's Strat in Fiesta Red last year and when I opened the box I new what Hank meant when they opened that box in 1959! ITS PINK!! It certainly looked pink to me anyway, but after a while you get used to it and slowly it turns to pinkish red and then to reddish pink! Under the glare of stage lighting it looks all sorts of shades of red or pink, so I really don't think it's that critical just so long as you're happy with it yourself! By the way, after some deliberation I changed the pickups to 57/62's (like the Classic Player but not with middle reverse wound) and while the stock pickups were quite good, to me they sounded a bit thin. The 57/62's have got rid of that very thin treble and it's much sweeter now with a much warmer tone altogether. I'm very happy with it now - it looks and sounds the part, and that'll do for me!
Terry B
Terry B

Full Real Name: Terry Broughton

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:13 pm

Martyn wrote:

Precisely. Some of us find paint colour an interesting and even fascinating subject - I have to accurately reproduce specific colours for my living so getting them 'right' is absolutely vital. It follows that such attention to detail may be equally important to others for whatever reason and just as interesting as researching the types of wood/pickups/strings used by one specific bespectacled bloke at certain periods of history - and I don't hear anyone trivialising that subject. Each to his/her own. :|
Going back in my box now . . . :P

Well said the two of you, I find guitar paint jobs kinda facinating too and the only time I get really worried is when the wife agrees with me and also talks of shades of paints and emulsions :o
Then I climb back into 'my' box :lol:
Bluesnote

Postby Amanda » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:27 pm

Terry B wrote:Very subjective this! I bought a Mexican 50's Strat in Fiesta Red last year and when I opened the box I new what Hank meant when they opened that box in 1959! ITS PINK!! It certainly looked pink to me anyway, but after a while you get used to it and slowly it turns to pinkish red and then to reddish pink! Under the glare of stage lighting it looks all sorts of shades of red or pink, so I really don't think it's that critical just so long as you're happy with it yourself! By the way, after some deliberation I changed the pickups to 57/62's (like the Classic Player but not with middle reverse wound) and while the stock pickups were quite good, to me they sounded a bit thin. The 57/62's have got rid of that very thin treble and it's much sweeter now with a much warmer tone altogether. I'm very happy with it now - it looks and sounds the part, and that'll do for me!

My Mexican 50's is the same Terry!
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Previous

Return to Gear