Which compressor?

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Which compressor?

Postby abstamaria » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:11 am

Which modern compressor would best emulate the valve compressor at Abbey Road in the early Shadows recordings? I am thinking particularly of "Atlantis."

I usually plug into an echo machine (e.g., a Q20 or a TVS). Would the compressor go before the echo machine? I don't record, but am thinking of the compressor only for our home attempts to play Shadows and the occasional show.

Many thanks,

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: Which compressor?

Postby JimN » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:17 am

Hi, Andy,

The position of a compressor in an effects chain depends on what you wish to do with it.

Some guitarists use a compressor as a definite effect - enabling "clean sustain" to a degree (I've even heard good simulation of a pedal steel guitar using a good compressor). Used as such (eg, in a live performance), the correct place would be after any distortion devices (distortion - if used - always comes first), but before a volume pedal and certainly before any delay or reverb unit (which are always placed last). So: guitar - distortion - compressor - volume pedal - echo - reverb.

But if you are seeking a "studio sound" from a compressor using a limiting effect, whether live or for a recording, the compressor should be last in the chain except for the reverb if used. That is more or less how it would be done in (say) EMI. Guitar into echo and amplifier, with microphone signal(s) limited into the desk via a compressor/limiter before being partially routed off to the echo chamber or plate (for reverb in either case).

I hope this helps,

Best wishes,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby abstamaria » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 am

Thank you, Jim. That is very helpful. I have no experience with compressors at all. I won't record, but do want to approximate the "Atlantis" sound when playing or rehearsing. If a compressor will help, can you recommend one?

Many thanks,

Andy
abstamaria

Postby dave robinson » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:09 am

Abbey Road was equipped with Fairchild compressors in the studio where The Shadows tracks were made. :idea:
However these are not easy to find but if used correctly (which isn't easy) a similar but not identical effect can be created with a decent quality pedal - Boss, Ibinez & similar.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:05 pm

Hi Andy

Try try the MXR dyna comp (Behringher do a cheaper copy DC9 Dynamics compressor which I have and it's OK) or try the Boss CS3.

Jim is correct about the studio arrangements and the compressor as Dave says was likely the Fairchild and 60's compressors had lower ratios than the modern types typically 2 or 3 to 1 . The MXR is based on the popular Ross circuit from the 60's but here is a review on various compressors for bass work mainly but it's useful.

http://www.ovnilab.com/index.shtml
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby Rjanuarsa » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:08 pm

Hi Andy,

There are many compressors as Dave said, which can achieve similar result. Cheaper ones would normally have simple controls such as Level, Tone , Attack, Sustain. And they are normally compact pedals. The more expensive ones would give you greater control such as compression ratio, the knee, threshold, etc but it can be confusing to set up..these are normally rack units.

Having said that, compressors at Abbey Road had very little controls. Prior to 1964, Abbey Road used Altec compressors which only had 3 controls (input controls, output attenuator, and recovery) which I believe was one of the elements of the Shads early records ( as well as The Beatles). The sound was magic indeed! you don't even know compressor were applied into virtually everything :D

Then, on 24 January 1964, they put Fairchild 660 compressors into service. These also had 3 simple controls. These are one of the best compressors ever made if not 'The' best. I've listened to it in action, and I almost cried :lol:

So, I would say any descent brand will do adequately.

Try to put a compressor after the echo, see how you like it. Maybe turn down the echo a few notch below what you normally set, because compression tends to bring the echo level up.

My two cents.

regards,

Robby
Rjanuarsa

Full Real Name: Robby Januarsa

Postby jimuc » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Andy
There is a Fairchild 660 as mentioned by Robby on Ebay at the moment

You might not want to buy it though :o :o

Cheers, JIM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fairchild-660-Mon ... 19c5d7c6af
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Full Real Name: Jim Dunlop

Postby abstamaria » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:02 pm

Thanks very much, Dave, Roger, Robby. That has been very helpful, and I appreciate your advice. I am starting from zero here; Roger's link has been quite useful.

Haha, thanks, Jim. i'll pass om the Fairchild.

Regards,

Andy
abstamaria

Postby Amanda » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:37 pm

I prefer a Broom Wade myself, drives a Pneumatic Drill perfectly!
And they are British made!!
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby abstamaria » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:13 am

Very funny, Amanda. I guessed you were talking air compressors, but had to look up "Broomwade" to be sure. They don't sell them here. I use a "Vespa" compressor myself.

Seriously, I gather you don't use a compresssor then?

Andy
abstamaria

Return to Gear