Repair help please

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Repair help please

Postby Jiggerz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:49 pm

Hello all,

Just received a second hander through the post and it's taken a knock in transit. The knock is about an inch across but thankfully the body isn't too dented, just the paint and lacquer. Is it possible to fix myself or will it need a professional's hand? I dread to think how much that will cost! :shock:

Thanks for any advice

Jayne

btw, the print cushion is my cat's, not mine, I am most definitely NOT Bet Lynch! ;)
Attachments
IMAG0073.jpg
(119.7 KiB) Downloaded 5531 times
Jiggerz

Re: Repair help please

Postby Bluesnote » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Yeah, but have you got her accent :roll: :lol:
Anyways...............
Not easy to repair yourself as the lacquer is really thick. Someone knocked my Strat over at a gig once and it it took a chunk about two inches in diameter on the top cutaway at the front just where the strap clips on, I left it as it was as it'd probably have looked worse with a patch-up job on it, I'd tried fitting the broken piece back on but it looked awful, and the lacquer was really thick on this guitar, the only real way to have had it done right would have been a complete respray. MIne was a sunburst job which as far as I can see yours is, and that was the only saving grace as the bare wood matched in better than had it been a red or even a black finish, at least your's is in a not so noticable place.
Was it not insured for transit damage? I'd imagine it would have some kind of cover surely. If not, I'd probably live with it as to do it right would most likely cost you quite a bit I'd imagine.
I'd just tidy it up a bit were it me, and put it down to a guitar with a well lived in look, annoying as it is :evil:
I like my guitars to look all nice and new and shiny all the time but sometimes you've just got to live with a dent or two.
I suppose if it was an instrument costing thousands of pounds I'd feel the need to have it done right but as I use more modest priced guitars, it dont matter that much. What can I say! I'm a cheap Scotsman :)
I've got a more than a few dents to date myself :lol: More than a simple re-spray fix too :roll:

That said, I'm sure some of the guys on here with much more knowledge of repair than myself may be of some help 8-)
Hugh.
Bluesnote

Postby Jiggerz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:40 pm

:lol: Shhhhh! Or rather Wheesht! (My Dad was a Lanarkshire man and that was all I heard ;) )

Thanks for replying Hugh, much appreciated. It's far from an expensive purchase, more than likely something for the cats to knock over than for me to ever play in company at least. I'm waiting for the store I bought it from to get back to me but was just wondering if it was worth trying to patch up with some lacquer spray, it's been a while since whizzing away on those fumes...

Chances are I'll just tidy it up as you suggest, it's only for messing about on and my 10 year old nephew will probably bug me into passing it on to him in a few months, in which case it not really worth it.

Thanks again

Jayne
Jiggerz

Postby geoff1711 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:54 pm

Hi

as it's on the black edge, smooth down any fractured edges touch in with as close a match as you can find in Halfords or similar then build up gradually with super glue, keep building and cutting back with wet and dry when you've got it level polish with T-Cut.

If it had been Fiesta or on the sunburst face you would have had quite a job but on the edge with some patience you should come up with reasonable results.

About 15 years ago one of my daughters knock a big chunk of black paint out of one of mine, I stuck it back with super glue then did as suggested above, apart from a slight ripple which I guess I could still get rid of you'd not know it had been done.

Good luck and enjoy the challenge, who knows it could become a new sideline

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby Jiggerz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:20 pm

Hi Geoff,

Thanks for the reply. It's actually all black, the sunlight in the room is responsible for it looking sunburst. It's been a while since we've all had sunshine, easy to get confused isn't it!

My other half is back from Germany tomorrow (hopefully without e-coli) so I'll ask him to have a look at all this great advice and see if he thinks I'm capable of not making a pig's ear of it. He knows better than to offer to help, stroppy independent mare that I am :lol:

If I do a good job I'll let you know and show you the proof ;)

Jayne
Jiggerz

Postby George Geddes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Nail varnish - clear or coloured, depending on the nature of the dent / chip - is also a possibility.

Doesn't half get me some looks in Morrisons or Boots when I am choosing it...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Jiggerz » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:16 pm

Haha, George, you are a star :D

You're talking my language now, nail varnish, you genius! Black is black is black, I'll give it a go.

Many thanks for that gem

Jayne

ps, what's the most outrageous colour you've bought?
Jiggerz

Postby George Geddes » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:10 pm

Err, blue sparkle...

I'll let others speculate on the guitar which required the treatment. I think Mrs Geddes actually bought the varnish on that occasion, though.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 am

George Geddes wrote:Nail varnish - clear or coloured, depending on the nature of the dent / chip - is also a possibility.

George

Steady on George :roll: You'll be tellin us that you've played in Bentley's next :o (famous Glesgie gay bar)

Wearing said nail varnish :lol:

Actually I feel a bit strange in Boots purchasing these packs of emery boards to smooth off my picking fingers a bit :oops:

And thats 'my' story ;)
Bluesnote

Postby Jiggerz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:13 pm

Bluesnote wrote:
George Geddes wrote:Nail varnish - clear or coloured, depending on the nature of the dent / chip - is also a possibility.

George

Steady on George :roll: You'll be tellin us that you've played in Bentley's next :o (famous Glesgie gay bar)

Wearing said nail varnish :lol:

Actually I feel a bit strange in Boots purchasing these packs of emery boards to smooth off my picking fingers a bit :oops:

And thats 'my' story ;)
Jiggerz

Next

Return to Gear