Repair help please

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Repair help please

Postby Jiggerz » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:17 pm

Aaargh, techno cat strikes again, he loves dabbing at the keyboard and posted that quote before I could add to it :lol:

I was going to say thanks for bringing back yet another memory Hugh, Bentley's was always where my Dad told my Gran he was going when he didn't want her to know what he was up to, haha! :lol:
Jiggerz

Postby stratmantd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Don't you mean Bennets rather than Bentleys? That's where I heard George play! :lol: :lol:
stratmantd

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:47 pm

stratmantd wrote:Don't you mean Bennets rather than Bentleys? That's where I heard George play! :lol: :lol:

Trust a guy from the Gay City to correct me on that one :lol:

I did'nt want to look as if I knew too much about it :roll:

No seriously, it was a senior moment you are correct its Bennets :oops:

It used to be the standing joke at work when asking folk what they did with their weekend :D

Having said that, George has gone affy quiet :silent:

Swiftly going back to the origin of this thread :roll:

Any word from the delivery people on the damage Jayne?
Bluesnote

Postby keithmantle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 pm

Hi Jayne, I use Sally Hansen Double Duty strengthening base/top coat clear nail polish,its nitrocellulose based and works really well once you have correct colour match
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Postby George Geddes » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:42 pm

Still here, Hugh, just trying to get a decent nail varnish in Fiesta Red...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Bluesnote » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 pm

George Geddes wrote:Still here, Hugh, just trying to get a decent nail varnish in Fiesta Red...

George

I wish you lots of luck with that George ;)

Actually, I wish I'd known about or had the gumption to think of nail varnish when my guitar got knocked over by a drunken musician from another band that was playing the same gig :evil: I had the piece that came off and I'm sure I could have superglued it and a wee bit of sanding the edges and the nail varnish may have done the job just nicely.
What a numpty I was at the time :roll:
When I think back, it was a really busy stage of my life with a full-time job doing loads of overtime, playing two/three nights a week, one nights practice with the band (we had a gig that we had to do chart stuff all the time and therefore learned a couple of new numbers a week) so I'd imagine I'd just have put it down to an occupational hazard and not bothered fixing it.
Bluesnote

Postby stratmantd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:10 pm

I have used paint sheets for cars that I got in Halfords to cover up small dinks and to be honest, from a distance, you can't see them. Luckily for me it was black that I used so there wasn't much in the way of difficulty in getting a match.

Although the guitar was second-hand Jayne, the people doing the delivery must take some responsibility for the condition it arrived in. Did you sign for it? If so, if the packaging was damaged you should have written "unchecked" or "u/c" on the POD (proof of delivery) sheet otherwise the signature alone defaults to you being happy with the condition that the delivery arrived in. Unfortunately, not many people know to do this and there are a lot of rumours going round about the treatment that some packages are given at parcel company depots.

If the damage definitely happened during delivery, let the shop you bought the guitar from know so that they can decide whether to continue with that carrier or not.

It is a terrible shame that some of the people trusted to handle other peoples' purchases have no respect for them.

I hope the incident doesn't spoil your enjoyment of your guitar too much.

Keep on Rockin'

Tom
stratmantd

Postby David Martin » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:40 am

I recently had a similar repair made to a guitar I was selling to a member of this community - with his knowledge. It cost about £80 and is perfect... no evidence of damage at all.
The luthier involved is here http://www.haniaguitars.com/ The man's a genius...
David M
David Martin
Site Admin

Full Real Name: David Martin

Postby Jiggerz » Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:05 am

Thank you all so much for all your help, it's very much appreciated.

The shop got back to me this morning, they've offered a full refund if I return it or they'll refund £20 to cover the cost of lacquer. As I said, it's a second hand guitar and it was only £90 so all in all I think they've been quite generous with £20. Especially as I already have some black nail varnish somewhere in the house!

I shall give it a go and report back and if I do a good job I'll post a pic, if I make a pig's ear of it I'll keep it to myself, haha :lol:

Have a great weekend everyone, the sunshine and a few pints of cider beckon... 8-)

Thanks once again

Jayne
Jiggerz

Postby Bluesnote » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:35 pm

I'd go with that if I was happy with the guitar in all other aspects. As you say, its a modest priced instrument and the damage is not really in that noticable a place.
Nice one 8-)
Hugh.
Bluesnote

PreviousNext

Return to Gear