A 'different' AC30 for Apache

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

A 'different' AC30 for Apache

Postby RayL » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:32 am

The July issue of Guitar & Bass includes a piece about Apache and The Shadows - and manages to give The Shadows an AC30 the like of which has never been seen before ! From the information given, The Shads apparently used an AC30 with a 15" speaker and EL34s. Hank's "new sound" is described as "playful". I'll leave you to chuckle over the rest (p.146).

By way of redemption, the article does end with the statement "Apache is without question one of the most influential guitar records ever made"

Ray
RayL

Full Real Name: Ray Liffen

Re: A 'different' AC30 for Apache

Postby Didier » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 am

RayL wrote:The Shads apparently used an AC30 with a 15" speaker and EL34s.

The early AC30 were single speaker and used a pair of EL34, but the speaker was 12". It was quickly replaced by the AC30 twin with two pairs of EL84 and two 12" speakers.
I guess that speakers at this time were not able to withstand 30W and couldn't last long in the single speaker AC30.

Not sure Hank used an AC30 to record Apache.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby cockroach » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:49 pm

Tonight I've just been watching a DVD including quite a few clips from Cliff's live TV shows (1960, 1961) - I don't know about the recordings, but from early 1960 the Shads are using the two tone AC15's, then the early cream AC30's, the early twin speaker cream AC30's, and on the Eamonn Andrews show Crackerjack, the all red Fenders with the black AC 30's. You can hear how Hank's sound changed with each amp, and unlike the Final Shads Tour, he makes quite a few mistakes! Jet often really turns it up and is very prominent, as is Bruce at times, both sometimes being even louder than Hank! By Crackerjack time, doing Frightened City and FBI, April 1961, they are sounding pretty close to the recorded sounds ...

(Guitar wise, in 1960 Bruce uses the 'first EP cover' Jazzmaster mostly and also the Gretsch 6120 on one clip late in 1960, and the 'first album cover' Telecaster (which he later forgot he actually played!) and the Jazzmaster in early 1961.
Hank is using the original maple neck 'old number 1' with HBM letters stuck on it throughout 1960-1961, and Jet uses his sunburst Precision with his initials stuck on it. Cliff plays Apache on the Strat - (which was fair enough seeing as he paid for it!) and also uses his sunburst Gibson J200 -which Bruce used on the records.)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Re: DVD

Postby abstamaria » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:48 am

Which DVD is that, Cockroach? I would love to watch that.

Andy
abstamaria

Full Real Name: Andres Sta. Maria

Re: DVD

Postby dave robinson » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:27 am

abstamaria wrote:Which DVD is that, Cockroach? I would love to watch that.

Andy

Here in the UK this was a video called THE HIT LIST/Cliff Richard. However it's over ten years since it's release and I don't know if it's still available.
There are DVD copies circulating and if you contact Jim W on this site, he may be able to help you to locate one. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby cockroach » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 pm

Dave,

I don't think it's the Hit List. It seems to be some sort of 'bootleg' type compliation- says Pinup Records on the trailer part or summat- no maker on the cover.

I have some of that Hit List stuff, isn't this the one with Cliff talking about the clips in between each song? He goes on about his bad teeth back then etc.

This one has some other different live stuff mainly from Cliff's TV show from 1960-1961 which I'd not seen before- such as:

Cherry Wainer playing organ with Cliff and the Shads

Alfred Marks, Pete Murray and Freddie Mills doing a take off of Cliff , Hank and Bruce doing Willie and the Hand Jive- and Freddie is using Bruce's Vega as a prop, pretending to play it. There's also some other daft comedy stuff with Cliff and Charlie Drake, plus Alma Cogan and other obscure artists...

There's Cliff and the Shads playing things like King Creole amongst others...

There's also the two Crackerjack clips of the Shads doing Frightened City and FBI, plus a short clip of Dance On and What'd I say with Cliff from the 1964 Poll winners concert, with white Burns guitars.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Didier » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:11 pm

cockroach wrote:Dave,
I don't think it's the Hit List.

The "Hit List" which was first released on VHS video has also later been released on DVD in Germany with a different title : "Lucky Lips".

It seems to be some sort of 'bootleg' type compliation- says Pinup Records on the trailer part or summat- no maker on the cover.

I guess it's this one :

I have never been able to find any information about "Pin-Up Productions". I bought this DVD in a small Paris shop, and I was told the DVD came from Austria !...

Didier
Didier

Postby hansaustria » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Never seen in Austria - I am from Austria !

Hans
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Postby AlanMcKillop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:05 pm

I would suspect it came from Mr Bootleg in Holland. ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Didier » Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:25 pm

AlanMcKillop wrote:I would suspect it came from Mr Bootleg in Holland. ;)

I would not be suprised, I went twice to the Tilburg International meeting (2005 and 2009) and was surprised by the number of bootleg recordings available there...

Didier
Didier

Next

Return to Gear