New Echo Unit

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Echo Unit

Postby PeterV » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:48 pm

Amanda wrote:I know that Charlie has done a great deal more work on the echos, basing the new unit on
the original sounds from the records, and has added refinements to the patches.

It's not based on tape Meazzi sounds.

Amanda

Amanda wrote:Hi All,

This echo is the proverbial Mutts Nuts, alongside a Meazzi Echomatic and my AC15 copy most listeners
found it impossible to tell the difference between the two.
Charlie is definitely on to a winner this time. It will be slightly bigger than a Magicstomp and won't break the bank!

Amanda

Amanda,

You are confusing me, was this reference machine not a Meazzi tape machine but a Meazzi disc echo with the magnetic media on a disc?

Piet
PeterV

Postby dave robinson » Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:50 am

In retrospect I think it may have been more beneficial to Charlie had the sound file of 36-24-36 not been posted, as it isn't really a very good likeness to the record, which is what I was listening for.
All the stuff about our hearing is very interesting, but as someone pointed out we will all compare with our own individual inferior hearing and it is all relative at the end of the day.
I know that Charlie will have listened and his machine will deliver as close a match as possible to what we are seeking. I look forward to hearing the finished product. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby roger bayliss » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:14 pm

Piet

I believe the new machine is the product of two main paths of work ... one being Charlies analogue circuit to match the impedences and filtering / EQ that the Meazzi gave to the echo sound and secondly a DSP based echo design by John to produce echos of the right type of tape emulation and head timings with possibly tape artifacts and tape characteristics to complete the emulation of those early units.

This is a first for us Shads fans to get our hands on a unit that could come quite close to the original units from the 60's and not have the cost and maintainance to worry about.

How is your own project coming along as we still have interest in that and your work is appreciated in these matters too ? :)
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby PeterV » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:53 pm

roger bayliss wrote:Piet

I believe the new machine is the product of two main paths of work ... one being Charlies analogue circuit to match the impedences and filtering / EQ that the Meazzi gave to the echo sound and secondly a DSP based echo design by John to produce echos of the right type of tape emulation and head timings with possibly tape artifacts and tape characteristics to complete the emulation of those early units.

This is a first for us Shads fans to get our hands on a unit that could come quite close to the original units from the 60's and not have the cost and maintainance to worry about.

How is your own project coming along as we still have interest in that and your work is appreciated in these matters too ? :)

Roger, very kind of you asking!
Here is the present state. http://www.echotapper.nl/wp/?p=546

Regards

piet
PeterV

Postby Amanda » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:39 pm

Yes Piet,

When they are available I'll have one of your kits..

Amanda
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Full Real Name: Amanda Hambidge

Postby PeterV » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:09 am

Amanda wrote:Yes Piet,

When they are available I'll have one of your kits..

Amanda

Amanda,
That's great I'll give ya a great jelly on it!!

Piet ;)
PeterV

Postby Bojan » Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:47 pm

Piet, you know that I have been a long-time supporter and advocate of your work and I remain interested in your kit. I am particularly looking forward to sound samples.

Cheers,
Bojan :)
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby PeterV » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:56 am

Bojan wrote:Piet, you know that I have been a long-time supporter and advocate of your work and I remain interested in your kit. I am particularly looking forward to sound samples.

Cheers,
Bojan :)

Bojan,
I know the urge of being ready for inspection. Remember that those projects are all in the 350-500 manhours effort to produce. The final activities on my unit will (re)start in the first week of July iso wintertime so samples will be available in due course for you to inspect.

The main reason for an early announcement of projects like this is to obtain an understanding of possible volume so a cost calculation including possible risk factors can be established and understood. A negative side effect of this early announcement is the buil-up of expectations that are never aligned with what can be delivered in the ongoing projects timeframe and could result in misunderstandings nobody is waiting for.

With urgency,

Piet
PeterV

Previous

Return to Gear