New Echo Unit

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: New Echo Unit

Postby tonybiker » 14 Jun 2011, 02:48

Hi.

I have only posted on this thread to help those who were not at the Charlie Hall & Friends weekend event, and are interested in one fact about the new unit. I am also very surprised that given this site is 100% The Shadows, unlike Charlie's which caters for all music tastes and styles, that some disinterest has been shown from certain quarters, moreso from people that were not even there to see and hear it. I consider this to one of the most exciting things to happen since the introduction of EFTP.

The only fact that the majority of guys are interested in is: does it work? And the answer to that question is a 100% yes it does. Whats inside it should be of little interest, and in any case, what Hank played and plays has been analysed and talked to death for many years, and we all know that even with all the data on Hanks guitar and gear - the wood, strings, picks, PUP's etc, not many get it right and many do get a great sound simply by accident.

Charlies unit was heard by 51 different people over the weekend. It was being used for some 16 hours. Everyone without exception said that it was as good as Justin Daish's Meazzi that was compared and run along side it. If you shut your eyes you would not of known which one was working. I know that because I got caught out thinking it was the Meazzi when it wasn't.

I have heard every available echo spanning over 35 years, Binson, Meazzi, Roland, Atlantis, Age One, TVS, Alesis etc and for the first time I can say that this new unit is as good as it gets. No messing with knobs and dials. A simple foot switch, not unlike a magicstomp and as simple to use as a Quadraverb, as good as 'plug and play'.

We were fortunate to get the unit to the event, and given it's still working progress as far as the later Roland modern sounds are concerned, those wanting the original sounds will be impressed, given I suspect it will be a fraction of the cost of a TVS3. There was no line of other 'add on's' either, just guitar, echo and amp was all that I saw plugged in.

As far as hearing problems are concerned, all 51 of us can't be suffering some form of hearing deficiency.

Hope that clarifies the units first public appearance.

Tony
tonybiker

Postby jimuc » 14 Jun 2011, 08:29

Very well put Tony
I fail to see how anyone can pass judgement on this unit if they have not heard it "in the flesh"
Even the so called "experts" on this site should maybe wait until it is proved one way or the other.
My own opinion is if Amanda is impressed that says it all.
Cheers
JIM
Never nail a door shut that you may want to go back through
jimuc

Postby ecca » 14 Jun 2011, 09:16

jimuc wrote:Very well put Tony
I fail to see how anyone can pass judgement on this unit if they have not heard it "in the flesh"
Even the so called "experts" on this site should maybe wait until it is proved one way or the other.
Cheers
JIM

Hear hear.
ecca

Postby PeterV » 14 Jun 2011, 09:41

ecca wrote:
jimuc wrote:Very well put Tony
Cheers
JIM

Hear hear.

All,
I was not critical on Charlie's project but did put the emphasis on hearing ability. It's amazing to see a drop of up to -40dB on the average for my age group. Its also very much amazing that this type of factual data is kicked from the table as 'not existing' !I did however enjoyed this biased discussion and be gone!
Hear hear.
Piet
PeterV

Postby keithmantle » 14 Jun 2011, 11:18

I was also there at Charlies demonstration( Used it myself) of the prototype and can confirm even through my 'hearing aid' it sounded as good or better than some real deal Meazzis, and hopefully without the maintenance/cost
keithmantle

Postby shadowkarl » 14 Jun 2011, 13:48

Hi Piet,

yes, curves and measurements and Lab values and personal hearing curves etc. fine..
But it is still my hearing and impression which counts only..
If somebody enters my home and asks "who is playing the piano?" and it is your fine elaborated hi fi set and a vinyl record, you do not need the best measurement laboratory values like klirrfaktors and so on. you are just reproducing music to its best!! and the same holds for reproducing echoes.imho...

Karl
shadowkarl

Postby neil2726 » 14 Jun 2011, 16:40

There was a good selection of ages at Northwich from 20s to us older ones 60/70. From the feedback everyone was amazed at the sound! And has been said if Its good enough for Amanda ...........................
neil2726

Postby barryg » 14 Jun 2011, 21:48

Charlie Hall's site is buzzing with news and discussion about his new echo unit. He had over 50 names on his prospective order list 4 days ago so it's probably 65 or more now. He is asking for potential buyers to leave their name on his web site so he can gauge the potential market and to get an initial batch manufactured.

There is a promise of getting some sound files posted to give us an idea of the sound we can expect from it

Charlie is looking for a suitable name for his new echo box and if you have any ideas they can be posted on charliehall.proboards.com

Barry
barryg

Postby Amanda » 14 Jun 2011, 23:41

Hi all,

At the end of the day it is subjective, as for the numbers of people on the list
I believe it's over 100 now!

Setup at Northwich was Stratocaster (Various) into either Meazzi Echomatic or Charlie's unit
into AC15 replica using circuit 3 and Celestion G12 Alnico - Blue minus blue paint and Bell cover.
[Check Out My Meazzi Site: http://www.meazzi.org.uk
And Tape Echo Forum: http://ac15.org.uk/meazzibbs/index.php

You're Never Alone With A Mitzi!
Amanda

Postby PeterV » 15 Jun 2011, 15:32

Amanda wrote:Hi all,

At the end of the day it is subjective, as for the numbers of people on the list
I believe it's over 100 now!

Setup at Northwich was Stratocaster (Various) into either Meazzi Echomatic or Charlie's unit
into AC15 replica using circuit 3 and Celestion G12 Alnico - Blue minus blue paint and Bell cover.

It's great to 'hear' that it was a representative population! I'm sure you know that long-time 'life' guitar players have a tendency adjusting the audio with too much high's as the hearing is already affected by overloading and/or age.

It's a big task ahead for Charlie! I would like to congratulating him also with the first sound samples of his DSP based machine.

Kind regards
Piet
PeterV

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Gear