New Echo Unit

Hints and tips on getting the sound you want. Includes anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; playing techniques; also amps, effects units, recording equipment and any other musical accessories.

Moderators: David Martin, Iain Purdon, dave robinson, JimN, George Geddes

Re: New Echo Unit

Postby rogera » 15 Jun 2011, 17:27

It is an undeniable fact as PeterV says that our high frequency hearing suffers as we get older.
However, that is not important when you come to compare a new echo unit like Charlie Hall's with the original sound captured on early Shadows recordings. The reason being that you will be listening to the new unit and the old recorded sound and comparing them using your present state of hearing.
rogera

Postby roger bayliss » 15 Jun 2011, 18:23

This is an echo unit designed by the man who bought us EFTP and delighted us with our echo sounds from many available digital units , so if Charlie has gone and copied the Meazzi sound I believe he will be best placed to do it ... he is the man with the background and knowledge required to do it ! ;) Cannot wait !
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Postby ecca » 15 Jun 2011, 18:32

Charlie is the man.
ecca

Postby Rjanuarsa » 16 Jun 2011, 02:34

rogera wrote:It is an undeniable fact as PeterV says that our high frequency hearing suffers as we get older.
However, that is not important when you come to compare a new echo unit like Charlie Hall's with the original sound captured on early Shadows recordings. The reason being that you will be listening to the new unit and the old recorded sound and comparing them using your present state of hearing.

Agree 100%!!
Rjanuarsa

Postby Abbeyroadie » 16 Jun 2011, 10:56

As ever members of this and other such "Shadows" sites we often disagree and have differing opinions about some aspects, in particular those matters that have to be addressed personally, like what we hear and how we percieve it, some examples of this can be seen in this thread.

For me being totally impressed with Hank's guitar playing / The Shadows since the age of 10 (sadly now 53 years ago) nothing changed over the years but whilst we all probably still played the old recordings, played guitar at home wondering how on earth did Hank make that sound or even gigged in our 60's band or whatever, maybe still using our Copicats or for the lucky few something more exotic and expensive, speaking personally there was a time when the equipment and interest could have done with a boost. Fortunately that came approx. in the mid 1990's with the release of the UB Hank backing tracks from Hank's studio which of course started the UB Hank clubs.various websites dedicated to the same cause and the rest along with a whole lot more is history.
All of a sudden there was something new to revitalise our interest if indeed it was needed anyway.

Little did we know at about the same time something was happening in Ely - Cambridge that would revolutionise our interest at least as far as equipment was concerned and continue to the present day. Based originally on Alesis units and later on some others Charlie Hall made it possible for us all to recreate the echo sounds in our heads .
Problem was that although Charlie's work for me was without question foremost in the field it obviously had to be within the framework and possibilities of the processor concerned.

Now at least it would appear that Charlie has the means overcome the restrictions and can at last make us an echo that is exact and accurate and it's ever likely to get. The prototype has been heard by quite a few and those that have heard it at close quarters have been impressed even in it's present form.
I've known about this new unit for months and I can tell you right from hearing some early examples it had winner stamped all over it.

Santa will be busy this year !!

It is at the moment a prototype and is improving all the time and will not look the same or sound the same when it is a finished product.....
IT WILL BE BETTER.
Charlie has been kind enough to give some of us a small taste of what is to come , personally I have no time for those who criticise something they have not seen or heard.

There have been others who produced creditable echo machines/programs over recent years and my respects go to them for their efforts excepting of course those copyists and pretenders. I can't think of any that came before Charlie's work other than the original echo machine makers that have not benefitted from Charlie's efforts and determination to bring us the best available sounds.

Who out there has not got or had an EFTP unit based on Charlie's work not many....That said I would hope that the majority would agree with me in highlighting the huge impact and benefit to us all that Charlie Hall and his technical brilliance has had in recent years in trying to reproduce accurate echoes from back in the day.

There might be a minority that will say that I'm "biased" well probably true having been Charlie's business partner for over 10 years in EFTP you would not believe me if I said otherwise. Sadly I'm not directly involved this time around but knowing what Charlie /John are putting into this new unit believe me when I say this product will be the best ever.

Now stepping (carefully) off the soapbox ;)
PA
Abbeyroadie

Postby keithmantle » 16 Jun 2011, 11:10

Abbeyroadie wrote:As ever members of this and other such "Shadows" sites we often disagree and have differing opinions about some aspects, in particular those matters that have to be addressed personally, like what we hear and how we percieve it, some examples of this can be seen in this thread.

For me being totally impressed with Hank's guitar playing / The Shadows since the age of 10 (sadly now 53 years ago) nothing changed over the years but whilst we all probably still played the old recordings, played guitar at home wondering how on earth did Hank make that sound or even gigged in our 60's band or whatever, maybe still using our Copicats or for the lucky few something more exotic and expensive, speaking personally there was a time when the equipment and interest could have done with a boost. Fortunately that came approx. in the mid 1990's with the release of the UB Hank backing tracks from Hank's studio which of course started the UB Hank clubs.various websites dedicated to the same cause and the rest along with a whole lot more is history.
All of a sudden there was something new to revitalise our interest if indeed it was needed anyway.

Little did we know at about the same time something was happening in Ely - Cambridge that would revolutionise our interest at least as far as equipment was concerned and continue to the present day. Based originally on Alesis units and later on some others Charlie Hall made it possible for us all to recreate the echo sounds in our heads .
Problem was that although Charlie's work for me was without question foremost in the field it obviously had to be within the framework and possibilities of the processor concerned.

Now at least it would appear that Charlie has the means overcome the restrictions and can at last make us an echo that is exact and accurate and it's ever likely to get. The prototype has been heard by quite a few and those that have heard it at close quarters have been impressed even in it's present form.
I've known about this new unit for months and I can tell you right from hearing some early examples it had winner stamped all over it.

Santa will be busy this year !!

It is at the moment a prototype and is improving all the time and will not look the same or sound the same when it is a finished product.....
IT WILL BE BETTER.
Charlie has been kind enough to give some of us a small taste of what is to come , personally I have no time for those who criticise something they have not seen or heard.

There have been others who produced creditable echo machines/programs over recent years and my respects go to them for their efforts excepting of course those copyists and pretenders. I can't think of any that came before Charlie's work other than the original echo machine makers that have not benefitted from Charlie's efforts and determination to bring us the best available sounds.

Who out there has not got or had an EFTP unit based on Charlie's work not many....That said I would hope that the majority would agree with me in highlighting the huge impact and benefit to us all that Charlie Hall and his technical brilliance has had in recent years in trying to reproduce accurate echoes from back in the day.

There might be a minority that will say that I'm "biased" well probably true having been Charlie's business partner for over 10 years in EFTP you would not believe me if I said otherwise. Sadly I'm not directly involved this time around but knowing what Charlie /John are putting into this new unit believe me when I say this product will be the best ever.

Now stepping (carefully) off the soapbox ;)
PA

Hi PA, Many of the guitarists who tried it at Northwich (inc me) will climb on your soapbox and repeat the above, this new unit is the 'Dogs Danglers'. Keith
keithmantle

Postby PeterV » 16 Jun 2011, 12:02

Peter,

As you're pointing your fingers to me:

Please be so kind as to read and understand the why I'm started the hearing issue. Also, in now way I'm critical on Charlie's forthcoming product as I don't have any commercial interest myself on marketing my units. I'm familiar with what's required to have success in a project like this.

My emphasis on listening is not fully understood. It seems that we all agree that, for comparison between effect and original , the listener is satisfied. For each listener this could be seen as a personal subset. The designer however needs to accommodate for the complete age group being 15-70 and needs supporting equipment including his/her ears to assure it fits. If we look at Charlie's hearing he possible lost -20dB from the time he started his EFTP patch building until today. That's the factual point I was making and definitely not,as already mentioned, understood by people in this forum.

As this was a very frustrating experience I've requested cancellation of my membership ASAP . It seems this site is not intended for a multinational audience and factual data is disregarded purposely. I'm out!
PeterV

Postby AlanMcKillop » 16 Jun 2011, 12:26

PeterV, I'm not sure your English is up to speed, despite it not being your first language, Your assumption in your last post is wrong imho, we all get your point about our hearing and I for one agree fully with a lot that you write, however, read RogerA's response a few posts above and that says it all for us older people. It negates to a certain extent much of what you've written, because many of us can't remember exactly how Hank's echo sounded over 50 years ago. We tend to listen now to the record/cd/tape and compare the echoes which are available for comparison purposes and our 'defective' hearing compares like with like.
AlanMcKillop

Postby OLDEREK » 16 Jun 2011, 14:10

Can't wait to get my hands on one of these, we are so lucky that Charlie Hall has spent his time sorting out this machine for us all, let's hope it appeals to non Shad players and the sales are world wide.........Thanks Charlie
OLDEREK

Postby noelford » 16 Jun 2011, 15:51

I'm astonished, Piet (if you are still with us) that you would resign from the forum over this discussion.Yes. It IS a discussion. No-one has said that what you posted was incorrect, simply that it wasn't applicable, for the reasons given by several members. Discussions and debates are all about people having differing views and stating their cases. If the only discussions one wants to take part in are those where everyone agrees with you, then I'm afraid you won't get to discuss very much at all. I did suggest you create a new topic with regard to the subject of hearing problems with advancing age, and I still think that would have been a good move.
Last edited by noelford on 16 Jun 2011, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.
noelford

PreviousNext

Return to Guitars and Gear