'63 Strat--Wound Third String

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

'63 Strat--Wound Third String

Postby TOMMOLITTLELEVER » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:28 pm

I have an original ,63 Strat,and Changed the Third Plain String for A D'Addario Wound String. The sound of the new Wound String is much quieter than the unwound String---I would have thought that the Original P/up Pole heights , on these guitars were set up for a wound third.--Any Suggestions ??

Cheers

Ian
TOMMOLITTLELEVER

Re: '63 Strat--Wound Third String

Postby Tab » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:31 pm

You have to use a heavier guage wound than the plain it replaces. For example, I use 12-52 DR strings with a wound 24 third - the plain third string would be 20.

Hope this helps

Terry
Tab

Full Real Name: Terry Bryant

Postby TOMMOLITTLELEVER » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:48 pm

Thanks Terry,
I'll Try That

Ian
TOMMOLITTLELEVER

Postby eugene » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:41 am

TOMMOLITTLELEVER wrote:I have an original ,63 Strat,and Changed the Third Plain String for A D'Addario Wound String. The sound of the new Wound String is much quieter than the unwound String---I would have thought that the Original P/up Pole heights , on these guitars were set up for a wound third.--Any Suggestions ??

Cheers

Ian

Hi Ian !

Exactly you're right !

eugene
eugene

Full Real Name: yuji yamaguchi

Postby Martyn » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:07 am

Just fitted a fresh set of Gibson 11 - 50s but with an Ernie Ball wound 24 third instead of the plain 18 gauge and there's no loss in volume using 57/62s. I suffered the same problem as you previously but the 24 gauge seems to have solved it on my Mex strat, whereas a previously tried 22 gauge wasn't quite enough and it was quieter.
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Postby JimN » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:05 am

There's an Ernie Ball set (11-52) which balances nicely (and I am VERY demanding on string balance) on a set of 57/62s:

Set 2208:

11 / 15 / 22w / 30 / 42 / 52.

http://www.ptm247.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1057

The red "sunburst" pack.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby roger bayliss » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:22 am

This guitar was probably set up for a plain third and I have played a wound third for sometime now and got used to the sound. I just put on any set of pure nickel strings 12's and it sounds OK on my 57 re issue with 57/62's but I do find the slightest adjustment helps with the volume on that string. Check the saddle is level. These vintage PU's were designed with heavier gauge strings in mind and from a time when wound thirds were standard. I have a set of 11's on my other strat with a plain G and to my ears it is too loud ! maybe it is what we get used too. But that other strat has CS54's on and again it is a vintage PU designed for a time when wound thirds were the norm.Modern players using a lighter set tend to have more windings in the modern PU's to thicken the sound and to my mind they are therefore compensating to get back to the old tones where the strings were thicker and meatier sounding.

IMHO
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby KurtFroberg » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi,

I have been using Ernie Ball 2206 (12 - 54) for a long time and last time I bought them from here:

http://www.gigomania.com/Ernie_Ball_2206_MED_LHT_Electric_Guitar_Strings_p/2206.htm

Very good price $5.25 and free shipping if you ordered 5 sets or more (over $25.00).

Kurt
KurtFroberg

Full Real Name: Kurt Fröberg

Return to Gear