Strat. tremelo block

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Strat. tremelo block

Postby JimN » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:13 pm

John Haldane wrote:Does it matter about the pitch of the tap.
John H

It does (of course).

The best idea is to take the arm to the hardware shop and physically match the threads of the tap with the threads on the arm (and old engineering stores trick, as Ecca will doubtless confirm)

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby ecca » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:17 pm

Everything on the net says that it's .8mm pitch.
What tap do you have John ?
Have you put it alongside the trem arm ?
Do the threads line up ?
You can get one off ebay for £3.
ecca

Postby John Haldane » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:25 pm

I am borrowing a set to -morrowso will do as you sugest, put the tap against the arm.
Thanks
John H
John Haldane

Postby alanbakewell » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:37 pm

In my deep, dark past I used to do a lot of clay pigeon shooting. I had a very nice Browning shotgun and almost always used the same cartridges.
Some folks swore by these cartridges, some swore at them. Some folks told me I was wasting my money, others told me to use a different make / shot size, etc. I believed as I put those cartridges in the chambers that I was going to hit what I was shooting at.
And sometimes I was right. :D

Well, as some will know, I replaced the steel block from my CS Strat with a Callaham block / stainless steel tremolo arm, probably six years ago. The difference in tone / sustain etc. is up for debate. I believe that it sounds better. I know without a shadow of a doubt that the combination of the steel block and stainless steel tremolo arm means a tremolo arm that stays where I put it without being so stiff as to be unusable. No PTFE tape, no bits of rubber off the end of a pencil and no tiny spring that gets lost every time I remove the tremolo arm.

Yesterday I replaced the block in my 50th anniversary Strat with one of Kevin Hurley's blocks. ( Kevin is the bloke mentioned in a previous post from Charlie Hall's site ).

This is the second time I've dealt with Kevin and certainly won't be the last. I still believe..........Let me hear you say Brothers......I BELIEVE :mrgreen: .....that these blocks make a difference.

However, I must emphasise that the final part of the equasion is, as my friend Robbo states, the setup is the icing on the cake.

I take my guitars to Roger Williams in Lichfield. ( Google him ).

I take Roger a good guitar and return with an instrument I'm delighted with. You truly are spitting in the wind if your final act is not a setup done by a Luthier or otherwise if you're competant enough to do it yourself.

This discussion will no doubt run and run. Some very valid points have been raised. After all that's what the forum's for isn't it?

Cheers, Alan.
Last edited by alanbakewell on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby kipper » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:02 pm

those clay pigeons are an endanger species now adays, and on the endangered list in most countrys. i hope your not useing this forum to promote the killing of such rare and endangered birds :evil: but i do agree about kevins blocks thats if there not on the list, !!other than ecca`s !! ;) peter
kipper

Full Real Name: peter harrison

Postby alanbakewell » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm

kipper wrote:those clay pigeons are an endanger species now adays, and on the endangered list in most countrys. i hope your not useing this forum to promote the killing of such rare and endangered birds :evil: but i do agree about kevins blocks thats if there not on the list, !!other than ecca`s !! ;) peter

Stopped shooting 'em years ago Peter. They get stuck in your teeth and are very dry. :lol:
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Previous

Return to Gear