Vox Echo Tape Model SV

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Vox Echo Tape Model SV

Postby Bruce Cramley » Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:35 am

Hi Buckshot,

From your Jaycar reference I assume you live in Oz.

A few years back I also needed a spring, and searched Yellow pages for "spring" factories in my neck of the woods. The place I found didn't have exactly the same thing, but 2-3 different sizes with approx. the same diameter/length/gauge, and with a bit of experimentation, tweaking of the spring and the little swivel anchor point, got it to work satisfactorily.

John While Springs
12 Larkin Street
Riverwood NSW 2210
Phone: 02 9533 5366

If this isn't near you, you'll have to do some legwork and visit some spring manufacturers.

If you need belts, I had obtained them from Wagner Electronics, Ashfield NSW.

Some years ago I also needed to get the pinch roller fixed up. I found Terry Witt (t.e.witt@juno.com) in the USA, sent him my roller and he rebuilt it to brand new state.

Regarding 1/4" audio tape, you might try:- Allans Music, Billy Hyde's, DIck Smith, Tandy, or audio places.

Again, hope this helps, kind regards, bruce.
Bruce Cramley

Postby barryg » Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Hi Buckshot,

I have a Vox Long Tom that I use and I make my own loops and if you tell me the length you want them I'll send you 2 free of charge from UK.

Terry Witt is certainly the man to rebuild the pinch roller. He made a fantastic job of mine and the machine runs so much quieter now.

I've seen the SV model before and it uses many common parts to the Long and Short Tom echoes. Can you post some photos of the tape heads and the top end of the machine. Thanks

Barry
barryg

Full Real Name: Barry Gillam

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:44 am

Barry,
Thanks for that mate. I beleive the length of the tape to be 2 ft ( 60cm). Let me know the cost and I will pay you for the postage etc.
kind regards
Buckshot
buckshot

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:49 am

Picture 067.jpg
(298.08 KiB) Downloaded 9748 times

Barry,
Here is a pic of the heads,
regards
Buckshot :D
buckshot

Postby barryg » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:47 pm

Tom,

Now I remember the SV, thanks for the pics.

Do you want to check and confirm the tape length or are you sure that's what it is. It is critical the length is just right with the right amount of tension from the pinch roller etc.

This spring you want should be available from an automotive parts distributor or similar supplier or you could buy a cheap old tape recorder. They are great for sourcing spare parts for these old echoes and they have lots of springs on them.

Can you let me know on the tape and send me your address on my e mail.

Barry
barryg

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:38 pm

Barry,
Yes I beleive that 2 ft is the required length. That is what I came up with after using an old tape and putting the tension bar in the position that I seen one on another unit.
Email is yogi4@optusnet.com.au
Thanks Mate I appreciate that. :thumbup:
buckshot

Postby buckshot » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks Barry,
I couldn't send you a message as it said your name was not registered. :(
buckshot

Postby barryg » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Tom,

If you go to "members" at the top of the page and find my name, barryg, you can send your address via a private message.

Barry
barryg

Previous

Return to Gear