Worthwhile mod for an early Marquee

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Worthwhile mod for an early Marquee

Postby JimN » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:53 pm

Like a lot of members here, I was an early buyer of the Burns Marquee model when it was released (was it really as far back as 1999?).

Many have posed queries about the unusual engineering of the Point Technologies tremolo bridge fitted to all the early examples, and I know I've fixed a few for different owners and done a set-up on my own guitar. But even when "fixed", the PT trem never convinced me. The action of the trem mechanism was stiff and if used for a fast tremolo, there was a little "warble" - mainly acoustic and not very pronounced over the amp - but annoying when playing quietly at home acoustically. Stringing was also a trial because the ball ends tended to get stuck in the block channels.

There were various answers and fixes: get a USA component for the pivot points / superglue the pivot cones / drill out the string channels, etc.

But eventually, I decided to go for something more radical. Axes'R'Us provided a Wilkinson vintage type trem (complete) in gold lacquer, postage paid, at £26.50. I got local loofier Dave Winter to strip out the PT unit and to install a piece of an ebony offcut in the front of the trem aperture, to make the residual space the same size as that on a Stratocaster. The ebony block was also shaped to stand proud of the body surface in order that the new trem unit would be at the same height above the body as the PT unit.

It works brilliantly, and a lot better than the old bridge.

Want some pics?

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Re: Worthwhile mod for an early Marquee

Postby alanbakewell » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:13 am

That would be nice Jim, do you have any of Perranporth beach in Cornwall?

Cheers, Alan.
To know and have known the love of a little dog is a truly wonderful thing.
alanbakewell

Full Real Name: Alan Bakewell

Postby ecca » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:09 am

Yes, put some some pictures up Jim, I'm always interested in trems.
ecca

Postby Risky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:14 am

ecca wrote:Yes, put some some pictures up Jim, I'm always interested in trems.

You really should see Eric's two new knee tremblers... :o
(ex-guitar player) - now a ukulele and ukulele bass player!
Update: After 10 years absence, now a born-again Hankie
Risky

Full Real Name: Phil Wolstenholme

Postby JimN » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:42 am

alanbakewell wrote:That would be nice Jim, do you have any of Perranporth beach in Cornwall?

Cheers, Alan.

Funny you should ask...

By chance, I was there with my phone-camera the time you were trying to stay hidden in that little tent with big Dora from Dudley... you didn't know that, did you?
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby alanbakewell » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Aha, so was it you who posted this on the "Cornish Hunks" website with the question, Would you trust this man with your Burns tremolo?
Cornwall_2011_049.jpg
(203.44 KiB) Downloaded 6486 times
alanbakewell

Postby ecca » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:49 pm

Looks like a crab had your knackers.
ecca

Postby alanbakewell » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:57 pm

ecca wrote:Looks like a crab had your knackers.

Good Lord, you were there too!!
alanbakewell

Postby John Brown » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:05 pm

Well if Ecca can say it
I thought his k**ckers had the crabs!!!!
Best Regards
John
John Brown

Full Real Name: John Brown

Postby ernie1958 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:15 pm

JimN wrote:Like a lot of members here, I was an early buyer of the Burns Marquee model when it was released (was it really as far back as 1999?).

Many have posed queries about the unusual engineering of the Point Technologies tremolo bridge fitted to all the early examples, and I know I've fixed a few for different owners and done a set-up on my own guitar. But even when "fixed", the PT trem never convinced me. The action of the trem mechanism was stiff and if used for a fast tremolo, there was a little "warble" - mainly acoustic and not very pronounced over the amp - but annoying when playing quietly at home acoustically. Stringing was also a trial because the ball ends tended to get stuck in the block channels.

There were various answers and fixes: get a USA component for the pivot points / superglue the pivot cones / drill out the string channels, etc.

But eventually, I decided to go for something more radical. Axes'R'Us provided a Wilkinson vintage type trem (complete) in gold lacquer, postage paid, at £26.50. I got local loofier Dave Winter to strip out the PT unit and to install a piece of an ebony offcut in the front of the trem aperture, to make the residual space the same size as that on a Stratocaster. The ebony block was also shaped to stand proud of the body surface in order that the new trem unit would be at the same height above the body as the PT unit.

It works brilliantly, and a lot better than the old bridge.

Hi Jim,

I also own a greenburst Marquee in which I swapped out the Point Classic trem for a Diego trem with aluminum block.All I had to do was screw off the metal
strip in which the pivots fall into and place it onto the aluminum block of the Diego trem by drilling holes at exactly the same places and threading them of course.Works like a charm and in fact you can do this to any Fender type of trem unit of your choice!
Btw...speaking of mods...I would like to know if any other members with a Marquee have had issues with their pickup assembly's?
Let me explain...
The standard pickups in a Marquee just don't cut it so replacement would be an obvious choice,right?
Saying this I did just that and to my surprise...after trying out two sets of Burns Marvin pups..the bridge pickup sounds kind of like "out of fase" if you will.
Very annoying and not at all to my liking..
I've done some measuring from where the string leaves the saddle to the polepiece of the bridge pup and noticed that the distance is substantially shorter
than that of a Stratocaster..maybe why it sounds different and awkward on the Marquee?
Anyway I would like to get this issue out of the way...any thoughts on this matter would be appreciated!

Ernie

ernie1958

Return to Gear