NEW BRIDGE FOR FENDER BASS VI

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

NEW BRIDGE FOR FENDER BASS VI

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:56 pm

Hi all.
I think we have quite a few Bass VI owners here on the site. Can I ask if anyone has fitted one of the"MASTERY" replacement bridges on their VI.
It looks to be a well made piece of kit but may'be not necessary on the VI. It also fits the Jaguar, Jazzmaster etc, etc.
http://www.masterybridge.com/order.html
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Re: NEW BRIDGE FOR FENDER BASS VI

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:03 pm

Hi Geoff,

I think the issue with the Bass VI bridge is that a "standard" Jazzmaster/Jaguar bridge may not permit proper intonation for the Bass VI scale as the adjustment of the saddles is limited by the internal width of the channel section. So I'm not sure I'd buy one without being sure it would work first.

BTW I don't have a Bass VI but I've got all the bits to build one :D but no time to do it :(

Roger
RogerCook

Full Real Name: Roger Cook

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 am

Hi Roger.
Good to hear you are putting one together, Bass VI, Post a few pictures when you have it complete.
I have ordered a new bridge, basicaly to see if improves the Bass VI intonation in the upper fretboard area, although I am not aware of many VI players who use this part of the fretboard. Could be wrong on this one though. Will report back when fitted.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby RogerCook » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi Geoff

It is a long term project - when I say I have the bits most of them are still just pieces of wood :o . I'm building from scratch as I couldn't find necks and bodies ready made. So far I have the body cut to shape but not yet routed, neck cut out and truss rod fitted but not yet shaped.

From my researches it seems the original US Bass VI had a full 1" wide bridge channel but that later Japanese instruments used the narrower Jaguar bridge causing intonation problems. I read somewhere (but I can't recall where) that one answer was to relocate the bridge thimbles further back (ie closer to the trem) but of course that would mean re-drilling your guitar which I certainly wouldn't want to do. You might want to have a look at the Bass VI bulletin board here (apologies if you've seen these already) - http://bassvi.org . There's a thread specifically about intonation here - http://bassvi.org/viewtopic.php?t=310&h ... intonation - which suggests the Mastery bridge may not be the answer :( .

Also this website -- http://www.huort-ch.com/ -- is that of a French luthier who manufacturers specific Bass VI bridges (look under "other services ... hardware parts") though I think they are made only to order and even then not very often.

For my project I intend using a standard Jag bridge located by a bit of trial and error to get the intonation right but if that fails I may look at the possibility of making a channel from stainless or mild steel and having it plated. I need to do the same with the control and switch plates.

Roger
RogerCook

Postby JimN » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:24 pm

For Bass VI (and Jaguar/Jazzmaster) parts (often ready-made and waiting in stock), check out the board (similar to this one) at http://www.offsetguitars.com

That's anything from a neck to a metal control panel for a Jazz Bass or Jaguar...

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby chas » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:02 pm

RogerCook wrote:Hi Geoff

It is a long term project - when I say I have the bits most of them are still just pieces of wood :o . I'm building from scratch as I couldn't find necks and bodies ready made.

Roger

USA Custom Guitars make a body and neck -although as many do they incorrectly call it a Baritone VI.

Chas.
chas

Full Real Name: Chas de Lacy

Postby RogerCook » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 am

Thanks Chas.

I looked at the USACG website a while ago. The bodies and necks were listed but it looked like they were made to order (I may be wrong) so I decided not to risk it. There was also a post (somewhere I can't find it now) about a project based on these bodies that needed a lot of modification. So that along with the price + import duties and potential difficulty of dealing with a supplier across the Atlantic made me decide to go my own way. I located some body drawings (and I had offers to let me trace round the real thing too) and a large alder blank and anyway, it's something I enjoy doing, but there's never enough time .....

Roger
RogerCook

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:01 pm

Hi all.
Well it does work. It took me 15 min to remove the Fender bridge, slot in the new Mastery, adjust the new bridge, height,intonation and string radius. All so very easy. The intonation is spot on. It also looks good.
Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Geoff Alderton LH » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:08 am

Hi all.
Bass VI now ready for Mr Jones, to entertain us all on sat at Shadowmania, complete with a new set of La Bella flatwounds. Enjoy.

Regards Geoff.
Geoff Alderton LH

Postby Paulps » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:20 am

WOW!

That looks GREAT, Geoff.
Paulps

Next

Return to Gear