Cheap New Gibsons

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Cheap New Gibsons

Postby cockroach » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:34 pm

Has anyone seen, tried or bought one of this new 2011 range of Gibson solids- (Les Paul and SG model versions) called '50's or '60's Tribute series or some such?

They appear to be genuine Gibsons, being sold here by Gibson dealers, and they are stamped Made in the USA on the back of the headstock.

They have virtually no 'finish' as such- just what looks like one rough coat of flat paint over the wood, with no filling of grain etc...

The prices here in Australia are around $AUS 1,100-1,300, about 650 pounds sterling equivalent, which is even less than the other similar 'faded' finish SG models, although these faded models have humbuckers, whereas the Tribute models have what look like P-90s.

Just curious, as I prefer Fender style guitars, I had a Gibson ES 125TDC with P-90's about 40 years ago, but haven't been able to afford one since!

Is there a catch here, or are they good value for genuine Gibsons?
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Re: Cheap New Gibsons

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm

I have the Gibson Les Paul 50's Tribute - great playing and sounding guitar, these models are inexpensive because they don't have the binding and mirror finish of their expensive cousins. They are genuine Gibsons and I love the sound of the P-90s. Recommended ! :thumbup:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby 51 Relic » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Hi Good reveiw in this months guitarist (SG looks good )
51 Relic

Postby hansaustria » Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:29 pm

Sometimes I`m gigging with my "Tribute Goldtop" and use it for the rock stuff we play in my band. A cheap guitar with a great tone ( not a cheap tone ).
The guitar is well playing. I like the pickups ( P-90 ) !

Mine one has a two - part body, I was told that there are a lot of guitars having bodies up to 4 parts.

Regards
Hans
Attachments
Goldtop_60_2.jpg
Tribute 60`s Goldtop / the player is 55+
(32.91 KiB) Downloaded 3084 times
hansaustria

Full Real Name: Johann Wolfgang Schmotz

Return to Gear