Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster

Postby Mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:38 pm

I got a hankering (pun intended) for a Telecaster a while ago but didn't want to part with too much cash in case Tele and I didn't get on.
Had a look at reviews on t'internet and folks were waxing lyrical about the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. It really did look and sound the business and was indeed in the original "classic" style having a body made of pine as (I'm told) were the very first Telecasters. It also has the three vintage style strings-thru-body Tele bridge with 3 brass barrel saddles. The icing was well and truly on the already scrumptious cake when I discovered they did it in Butterscotch Blonde with black pickguard.
I looked around on t'internet for best price then spotted one on Ebay, brand new complete with all tags, decals and clear plastic on the pickguard. some poor guy haf incurred his wife's wrath for having had the temerity to spend their holiday money on a new guitar. New guitar or holiday? Seems like a no-brainer to me.
Anyway, he was told to sell it pronto and I got it for slightly less than the cheapest dealer price plus a brand new Fender gig bag.
Its every bit as good as I had hoped and plays really well, even by me. The slim neck is great too as I have smallish hands and can now do "thumb over the top" with ease!
Has annyone else got one? If so, how do you rate it? Here's a pic of mine alongside my MIM HM Strat.

Fenderx2.jpg
Fenderx2.jpg (63.58 KiB) Viewed 8061 times
Mikey

Re: Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster

Postby 51 Relic » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:39 am

"All you need and nothing you dont " ;) welcome to Tele world great guitars, in my eyes Leo got it right 1st time just listen to Vince Gill,
Jerry Donahue and many others

Cheers :D
51 Relic

Postby RUSSET » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Mikey,
I too have sampled the delights of the Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster. I bought a '50s Maple neck version about a year ago, but mine is the transparent White Blonde version with Black scratchplate. I haven't changed anything on it, apart from giving it some compensated Brass saddles & a set of '10-46's'. What a superb, vintage sounding guitar ! I wouldn't swap it for the world, or a Fender USA Tele. I also have a Classic Vibe 'Simon Neil' signature Strat in Fiesta Red, & have this year treated myself to a Classic Vibe '50s P.Bass in 'Butterscotch', & have not been dissapointed by any of this quality range of guitars. I already had a Fender Mex 'Baja' Tele in Butterscotch, which is also a great guitar, so I didn't buy the CV Butterscotch version. As I also already had the Fender Japan Custom '62' Tele with the bound edges in Sunburst, I couldn't justify going for the CV version of that. I am delighted with the quality & fantastic value of the Squier Classic Vibe range, & hope they continue to expand it. They also make a great CV '60s P. Bass in Fiesta Red with Torty scratchplate, just like Jet played in the Shads, so there's room for all our bass players to get the correct colours at a bargain price. I recently joined the 'Squier-Talk' forum website, which has a lot of chat & useful info on this great range. The Yanks are really dissappointed that we can get the F.Red 'Simon Neil' Strat in Europe, but it isn't available in the States.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby neil2726 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 am

Yes had one for a couple of years now. great guitar- why pay over a grand for the Fender?
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby cockroach » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:16 am

Since I bought a Squier Affinity Tele about 4 years ago and used it ever since as my main guitar for gigs etc, it seems to have cured me of G.A.S. forever... ;)

Every time I look at or try any other stuff, I question the need for buying anything else...I can get virtually any sound, for any style, out of that bloody cheap little bottom of the range (and lowest status!) Chinese thing ....apologies to all you compulsive collectors and shoppers!

The slim narrow neck fits my small fat fingers(!), the pickups are fine, and it feels comfortable and light weight when playing. And if it were ever broken, damaged, stolen etc , I know I could go and get another just like it.
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby JimN » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:28 am

neil2726 wrote:... why pay over a grand for the Fender?

I, er... don't think you've quite got the hang of this.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby George Geddes » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:32 am

Once again, I echo Tony's comments on the Simon Neil model. An absolute bargain for the money. I have always preferred rosewood 'boards, so my Japanese Hank Marvin Signature is now relegated to backup duties.

A couple of years ago, I wanted a cheap bass for use in another band and ended up with a Squier Affinity P Bass in metallic red. £80 on Gumtree and a lovely bass. I would really like the Fiesta Red Classic Vibe, but my bass playing skills don't warrant it...

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby neil2726 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:40 pm

Jim - sorry I wasnt more clear. Having a classic Squier tele - I tried a few FENDER teles in my local shop some of which were over a grand. I couldnt see or hear much difference in build or sound quality to warrant the extra cash! :)
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby RUSSET » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:48 am

George Geddes wrote:Once again, I echo Tony's comments on the Simon Neil model. An absolute bargain for the money. I have always preferred rosewood 'boards, so my Japanese Hank Marvin Signature is now relegated to backup duties.
A couple of years ago, I wanted a cheap bass for use in another band and ended up with a Squier Affinity P Bass in metallic red. £80 on Gumtree and a lovely bass. I would really like the Fiesta Red Classic Vibe, but my bass playing skills don't warrant it...

George

Hi George,
If my band has a 'Quality venue' gig, I always tend to use my Jap Marvin because it matches our other guitarist's Mex '50s Classic series Strat, lookswise. If we are playing a cheapo pub gig, I quite often use the Simon Neil Squier Strat. I have to give all my guitars an outing at some time, to justify acquiring them, to myself.
I too have fallen for that Squier CV F.Red '60s P.Bass, but I really can't justify another bass guitar when I don't play bass in the band. I am moderately competant on the bass, but I haven't yet mastered playing bass & singing at the same time, & they rely on my harmony vocals quite a lot.

Tony.
RUSSET

Return to Gear