61 strat on ebay

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

61 strat on ebay

Postby keithmantle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:20 am

Supposedly original, a 61 with a maple neck, its at £7600 with 2 plus hours to go. ebay No 170677329378
keithmantle

Full Real Name: keith george mantle

Re: 61 strat on ebay

Postby keithmantle » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:39 pm

Something funny,it went for £7600 from a bid from yesterday ?
keithmantle

Postby dusty fretz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:00 am

Definitely a case of let the buyer beware and be VERY afraid! Yet another of the so-called all-original wrong 'uns that are so rife on eBay, complete with the usual sob story of being a hand-me-down from a dear departed relative and the seller knowing nothing about the instrument. Sadly, it seems to have worked and some poor sucker has been seduced into shelling out £7,600, which means he's going to be sorely disappointed!
dusty fretz

Postby dave robinson » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:26 am

keithmantle wrote:Supposedly original, a 61 with a maple neck, its at £7600 with 2 plus hours to go. ebay No 170677329378

61s' didn't have maple fingerboards . . . . . . . . I wouldn't have touched it with a bargepole.
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby geoff1711 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:51 am

Odd how all the shots are just that bit out of focus, but 3 ply scratchplate with maple neck?

That oversize neckplate with plastic backing?

A digital delay with a guitar not played for years?

And the colour? looks like the Fiesta Red we see today (which may or may not be the colour Hank had at the time), but when I saw them in Charing Cross road in 60/1 they were much pinker, and I don't think in 50 years they would fade to a brighter colour

The only hope being that as it's cash on collection only, hopefully, whoever won it will satisfy themselves it's the real deal.

Geoff
geoff1711

Postby keithmantle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:30 am

On a strat site i found it said some 61's had a laminated maple neck ie maple f/b on maple neck with no skunk stripe or dark spot on headstock, i did request more photos from seller, back h/stock- heel/end neck-under pickgaurd-saddles but seller did not return my request , it all looked too phoney if it had been an original 61 i think it would have gone for a lot more than £7600
keithmantle

Postby geoff1711 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:56 pm

I seem to recall reading that some Strats probably in the 60's had slab maple or rosewood boards, the neck was routed from the front then the board glued on so no skunk stripe.

Unless you really know your Strat history buying a vintage modell is a minefield, alright for an investment I suppose, but for playing, a new one does the job pretty well in my view.
geoff1711

Postby dusty fretz » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Strats that featured a maple fingerboard in the early '60s are as rare as the proverbial hen's teeth and almost equally so even after the option became official in 1967. This sorry specimen certainly isn't such an oddity, as in a couple of photos the headstock fillet and skunk stripe that confirm one-piece construction are clearly visible, but in another shot the stripe has magically vanished, while the surrounding wear pattern on the heel block also varies. Such 'minor' discrepancies suggest pics of different guitars - all very suspicious! Just to further compound the errors already noted elsewhere, even the scratchplate is incorrect for 1961, as the screwhole positions point to 1963 onwards. All in all, a real dog's dinner.
dusty fretz

Return to Gear