Bert Weedon Strings

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Bert Weedon Strings

Postby neil2726 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 pm

I see someone has a few "Bert Weedon" strings, both flat wound and tape wound, for sale on E Bay. A rather young Bert is pictured on the packets and from what I can make out they were disributed by Boosey and Hawkes. I dont seem to recall having seen these strings in the music shops in my younger days - I take it they come from the early sixties, although I did buy Bert's "Play in a Day" at that time. Most of the local music shops seemed to stock Rotosound, Catherdral and Gibson.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Re: Bert Weedon Strings

Postby dave robinson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:18 am

When I first started going into music shops in 1962, there were no Rotosound strings, the choices were Monopole (tape wound) , Gibson and Catherdral. Rotosound appeared a few years later in our shops, in fact Fender, Gretsch, Ike Isaacs and James How were all around before we saw Rotosound. I had a feeling later that Rotosound were same as James How - something to do with Burns? :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby neil2726 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:21 am

Your right Dave it was monopole and not rotosound that were available at that time.
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby dave robinson » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:26 am

I just did a quick Google. Burns strings were made by James How back then and James How strings became Rotosound in 1965. :)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Paul Childs » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:52 am

I can remember Bert Weedon plectrums back in the 60s but not strings.
Don't remember seeing Gibson strings back then only the usual barbed wire like Monopole, Cathedral, Red Dragon etc.
Paul Childs

Postby ecca » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:24 pm

Red Dragon, with the free first string. String it up 1,1,2,3,4,5 so as to enable bending and finger vibrato.
ecca

Postby RUSSET » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:28 am

Paul Childs wrote:I can remember Bert Weedon plectrums back in the 60s but not strings.
Don't remember seeing Gibson strings back then only the usual barbed wire like Monopole, Cathedral, Red Dragon etc.

I remember Gibson strings called 'Sonomatics'.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby JimN » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:49 am

RUSSET wrote:I remember Gibson strings called 'Sonomatics'.

They were more or less the industry standard and were certainly used by Shadows members from the mid-sixties into the early 1970s. You were still able to get them until the 1980s, and Gibson also introduced a "Sonomatic Light" set in the late 1960s: 11/12/19w/32/42/52, IIRC.

The company has rebranded its former "L5" set as "Sonomatic", but the modern set under that name are not of the original gauges (13/17/26w/36/46/56) as real Sonomatics.

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Return to Gear