Electric acoustic guitar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Electric acoustic guitar

Postby skye » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:15 pm

Hi everyone
I am looking to buy new or secondhand an electric acoustic guitar around the
£600 mark looking to play rhythm only any suggestion?
Many Thanks
Ray
skye

Full Real Name: Ray Field

Re: Electric acoustic guitar

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:35 pm

Hi Ray are you talking acoustic round-hole electro with acoustic type pickup or Gibson 335/Gretsch Country Gent type with magnetic pikcups.?
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:19 pm

I'm selling my Hank Marvin Fender electro-acoustic in black, check out the marketplace or drop me a PM if interested.
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby skye » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi Dave thanks for your quick reply
Looking at a acoustic round-hole electro with acoustic type pickup but not jumbo type
something that does not feel to cumbersome after playing a strat
Ray
skye

Full Real Name: Ray Field

Postby JimN » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:27 pm

skye wrote:I am looking to buy new or secondhand an electric acoustic guitar around the £600 mark looking to play rhythm only any suggestion?

My suggestion: buy a quality guitar, which maybe surprisingly, can be found at the sort of price you mention (I'm assuming you mean a flat-top acoustic with piezo pickup system). Two quick suggestions:

Taylor (made in USA) at £619: http://tinyurl.com/4x3fbnb

Martin (made in Mexico at this price level) from £499: http://tinyurl.com/3sb9fq7

The slightly more expensive Taylor has hardwood back and sides and a hard case supplied - that's excellent value for an American guitar. If they did a 12-string in this price range, I'd probably have bought it instead of my recent Martin purchase.,

JN
JimN

Full Real Name: Jim Nugent

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:49 pm

That Fender of Alan's is a good guitar, Daniel Martin has a left hand version and it stands well against our Gibson & Martins'.
Can't recommend Taylors' as nice as they are, I have yet to hear one than offers a real vintage acoustic tone - too clean and no character in my experience.:idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:23 pm

I'd agree the Fender is a good guitar and better than I thought it would be (some Fender acoustics never get the credit they're due). it's good to play either amplified or acoustic, but I'd say it was a big body style, not quite Gibson Jumbo size, but bigger than say the Yamaha APX guitars. BTW, the only reason I'm selling, is that I prefer my Gibson J185 ........ and I haven't owned or played a better guitar. ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby RUSSET » Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:24 pm

If you want a reasonably priced Electro-Acoustic which has a similar fingerboard to your Electric guitar, Fender used to make a couple of guitars called a 'Stratacoustic' & a 'Teleacoustic'. They were made in the shape of their two Electric cousins, but were slim hollowbodied with a piezo bridge pickup. Not sure which range they are issued as, but you can check out both Fender & Squier websites.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby dave robinson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:15 pm

RUSSET wrote:If you want a reasonably priced Electro-Acoustic which has a similar fingerboard to your Electric guitar, Fender used to make a couple of guitars called a 'Stratacoustic' & a 'Teleacoustic'. They were made in the shape of their two Electric cousins, but were slim hollowbodied with a piezo bridge pickup. Not sure which range they are issued as, but you can check out both Fender & Squier websites.

Tony.

Sorry Tony, these are absolute rubbish, tried & tested, trust me!
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby StuartD » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:10 pm

dave robinson wrote:
RUSSET wrote:If you want a reasonably priced Electro-Acoustic which has a similar fingerboard to your Electric guitar, Fender used to make a couple of guitars called a 'Stratacoustic' & a 'Teleacoustic'. They were made in the shape of their two Electric cousins, but were slim hollowbodied with a piezo bridge pickup. Not sure which range they are issued as, but you can check out both Fender & Squier websites.

Tony.

Sorry Tony, these are absolute rubbish, tried & tested, trust me!

Totally agree Dave. Rubbish. Takamine are always good.

Stuart
Last edited by StuartD on Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
StuartD

Full Real Name: Stuart Duffy

Next

Return to Gear