Electric acoustic guitar

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Electric acoustic guitar

Postby tolo » Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:07 pm

+1 for Takamine
http://www.tonylowther.com

ProTools 2020 - UA Apollo - Furman AC210 - 10.13 - i7 3.4Ghz Quad - 32G Crucial DDR3
tolo

Full Real Name: Tony Lowther

Postby sixtiesman » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:39 am

Hi Ray

You asked me a specific question in my Burns 62 post:-

"what is your thoughs on this make"

My thoughts on Takamine are very good! I have had a few, my favourite being the EN10 which retailed at about £600 in the late 90's. It was the guitar which cropped up on every TV programme at the time, TFI Friday, Later with Jools, Jonathan Ross etc etc. Easily identified by the "block inlay" around the sound hole.
My take was if it's good enough for them it's certainly worth a look.

I currently own two and I love them to bits.. I would agree with one poster who said they ( all Takamines ) were designed to go through a PA or "flat" amp. Acoustically they are not a true acoustic sound, but hey, good enough! When through a PA they are hard to beat. The cool tube pre is superb although my EN10s have the old Graph Ex pre.

The best thing is the fretboard engineering, little short of perfect ( at this price ). Takamine make a full range from cheap to expensive, but all are value for money. I play strats and the EN10 board is a joy to use. I paid 600 in the 90's for a new one and a few months ago I got one from Ebay for 450 second hand.

I went Brians's to have him fit a strap button in the right place on the Takiamine I bought off Ebay recently.

I have a Martin D28 and I would not dream of gigging with it. Different animal for a different job.

Hope this helps

Clive
sixtiesman

Full Real Name: clive tallon

Postby skye » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:57 pm

Just a quick thank you to everybody for replying to my post and especially to Clive for his detailed information. The probability is I will go for Takamini, but like all these things, the proof of the pudding will be in the eating. I now need to go out and do some trials and probably up my budget. I have just had a clear out in the garage and going to sell some gear that I havnt used for three years, Keyboard, Modules, Amps and Base Bins etc. So once again thank you all for your time and replies.

Ray
skye

Full Real Name: Ray Field

Postby cockroach » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:57 am

Ray

Do try and find and play a Maton 808 small body model- our Aussie guitars are excellent, with slim fast necks and low action like an electric guitar, and if you gig, they are built like tanks for reliability and strength too...and Tommy Emmanuel uses them, and if they are good enough for him..... ;)
cockroach

Full Real Name: john cochrane

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:00 am

... or Yamaha APX series electro acoustic - I have and AP7 that I use for stage work as it's a comfortable size and thickness and has a good sound (the guitar, not my playing!) :roll:
Attachments
item2.jpg
item2.jpg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 4095 times
Bill Bowley

Previous

Return to Gear