Marvin Signature on ebay

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Marvin Signature on ebay

Postby Hank2k » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:10 am

Been listed on ebay a few times, looks really nice but it doesnt seem to follow the signature model details on the PDF that was created.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fender-Custom ... 27bdba8c80

If you look at the neck plate this one has the fender logo on but according to the pdf it should be plain, also according to the pdf the signature had plain pickup covers and the autograph had dimarzio on the pickup cover, this one is meant to be a signature shown by the number but this has dimarzio on the pickup cover, not sure whether its a genuine model or one thats been modified or a replica any ideas?
Hank2k

Re: Marvin Signature on ebay

Postby hernando » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:46 pm

We could get another clue if, perhaps, the seller was asked to weigh the guitar.
According to the PDF, the Signature weighs in at 8lb 0oz whereas the Autograph is some 4oz lighter at 7lb 12oz.
Personally, if I could afford to buy this sort of guitar, I would not shop for it on Ebay.

Dave
hernando

Full Real Name: David Fisher

Postby Lee Restarick » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:47 pm

Seller has 85.7% feedback. You wouldn't touch him anyway!!
Lee Restarick

Postby neil2726 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:50 pm

Do these top of the range Strats all have the large string opening on the back plate, rather than invidual string holes?
neil2726

Full Real Name: Neil Sutton

Postby dave robinson » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:24 am

Nothing wrong with it apart from it's too expensive. Same as the one I sold for my friend Arthur a few years ago, I could have had it but to be honest it wasn't anything special and not as good as what I already had for far less money.
I have a couple of Classic Player Strats that are far better playing and sounding. This one is fiesta red though so that's all that matters eh? :lol:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Bill Bowley » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:21 am

Dave,

I must have led a deprived (not depraved!~) life, I have never owned a Fiesta Red guitar - not counting the 'Trafalgar Red' Marquee that I had for a short time of course! :roll:
Bill Bowley

Postby stephen » Mon Aug 29, 2011 3:16 pm

As well as that eBay guitar being in Fiasco (sic.) Red, just as importantly, it bears the HBM transfer on the headstock. As those of us in the know have come to appreciate, this adds untold £££££'s to the asking price and THAT squiggle combined with THAT shade of red, acts as a magic catalyst that will make it feel, play & sound better than any similar guitar that is bereft of those two features............I'm quite happy to either fight or trade versions of 'Apache', with ayone that dares contradict this theory!
Stephen.
stephen

Postby dave robinson » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:30 am

this adds untold £££££'s to the asking price and THAT squiggle combined with THAT shade of red, acts as a magic catalyst that will make it feel, play & sound better than any similar guitar that is bereft of those two features

I believe that this depends on how daft and shallow a person is. Never been impressed by these, all they are is a money making racket for those who commission them.
Hank's original guitar was nothing special other than gold hardware, which was unusual at the time. I have expensive USA Strats and modest Jap/Mexican models in and they all sound right, regardless of colour..
:idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby RUSSET » Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:38 am

I agree. Colour is irrelevent to the sound of a guitar. I too have cheaper end guitars that sound really good, whatever I play on them, ignoring the fact that I have only a tiny bit of talent. I do have some Fiesta Red models, for the reason that I was mesmerised by them & the Shads in the early '60s. It's that nostalgia thing. But, the sunburst Mex 'Classic Player' & the Chinese Classic Vibe Strats play just as well, after a moderate bit of upgrading (nothing major). I was actually complimented on the quality of the 'Classic Player' Strat by a guy who had bought a £1,200 Fender Vintage Reissue '50 Strat, which on first glance looked identical, & even has the same vintage Fender pickups.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Tone » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi

The debate on whether Custom Shop and the like guitars are "better" than standard, cheaper models crops up with monotonous regularity and I guess it will continue to do so. But it really does all boil down to the old adage about one man's meat being another man's poison.

With regard to this specific guitar, and the questions raised, it has indeed been listed and relisted on eBay for months. I think it started with an asking price of £6500 which was way too much but the current price of £4250 is more realistic although still a little high. Whether it will be sold in the current economic climate is another matter. Hank2k refers to the neckplate and it is true that the Signature's is plain. There is some doubt regarding when the Signature "morphed" into the Autograph but the latter's neckplate is engraved with the Custom Shop logo, not Fender. I don't think this one is an Autograph and the serial no. (052) definitely puts it into the Signature run. Indeed, the colour of the body and neck tends to confirm this. There again, the pickup covers on the Signature are plain and the bridge cover is not marked DiMarzio as this one is.

So, there are a couple of anomalies but I still think it's genuine.

With regard to Neil's question about the slot in the neck plate, so far as I am aware the Signature and Autograph are the only ones of the various HBM limited editions to have this feature - the others have individual string holes.

Cheers.

Tony
Tone

Full Real Name: Tony Ramsden

Next

Return to Gear