Fiesta Red???

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: Fiesta Red???

Postby dave robinson » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:01 pm

JimN wrote:At the time that "The Shadows By Themselves" was written and published, Hank did have a guitar with an ebony fretboard...

JN

Yes he did - the Gretsch, but was that what he was describing? :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby GoldenStreet » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:34 pm

The photographic evidence! :)

Bill

Capture.JPG
(98.9 KiB) Downloaded 3534 times
GoldenStreet

Full Real Name: Bill Hannay

Postby Graylion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:02 pm

As Russet says, in the early 60s they were all pink in my neck of the woods - Southampton. Definitely not red but "Coral Pink" is about right. One man's 'pink' could be another man's 'red', so the text from Hank's book proves nothing. I've said before that "Fiesta" red doesn't describe a colour shade at all - unlike "Salmon" or "Coral" pink!

I played several new Strats in 1962 & 63 in local music shops. Costing nearly 7 months worth :o of my pay as a Junior Clerk, they were only ever on a "wish list"! There were no colour catalogues in those day and even if there were, I doubt whether reproduction would be any more accurate than it is today. Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Postby dave robinson » Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:59 pm

Graylion wrote:As Russet says, in the early 60s they were all pink in my neck of the woods - Southampton. Definitely not red but "Coral Pink" is about right. One man's 'pink' could be another man's 'red', so the text from Hank's book proves nothing. I've said before that "Fiesta" red doesn't describe a colour shade at all - unlike "Salmon" or "Coral" pink!

I played several new Strats in 1962 & 63 in local music shops. Costing nearly 7 months worth :o of my pay as a Junior Clerk, they were only ever on a "wish list"! There were no colour catalogues in those day and even if there were, I doubt whether reproduction would be any more accurate than it is today. Cheers, Lionel

There were catalogues in those days Lionel,but in black and white only, I had a recent garage clear-out and discovered my old one, advertising it on Ebay, starting bid 99pence.It was won by a nice Japanese man who thinks I am wonderful for selling it to him at such a fair price £229.00 - the mind boggles.

It was the Jennings catalogue with all the Vox guitars, organs, amplifiers and accessories as well as all the Fender guitars & amplifiers of the day and more.

Before selling it I scanned and reproduced it for myself on A4 card. :P

Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Postby Graylion » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:59 pm

Yep Dave - I think I started collecting catalogues & leaflets from about 1961 so I have a few Jennings, Selmer (including the Fender & Gibson one from 1963), Vox, Rosetti, Burns, Bird, Watkins, Swissecho etc. Selmer and quite a few others had the 2-colour banner booklets and leaflets but all the photos were in greyscale. Usefully in those days, printers often used to put the date in a code - usually on the back - which makes it easy to date them. I've found the same from 1950s and 1960s motorcyacle and car manuals.
I've seen quite a few go on eBay, but as I haven't got any duplicates I'll not be selling mine! I do have duplicate Bird Golden Eagles leaflets; the 15 and the 25 watt models (I have a 1963 25 watt one). I have near duplicate Selmer catalogues but although most of the illustrations are the same, the prices aren't They are from Oct 1962 and May 1963. Interestingly the Futurama 3 ("Piano key" switches) dropped by a massive 5gns from 45 to 40 gns - just over 11%!
Cheers, Lionel
Graylion

Previous

Return to Gear