Fender Super Champ X2

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Fender Super Champ X2

Postby Martyn » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Just been looking at the spec. on these new X2 models and the appeal for me is that it's a valve amp with built-in USB connectivity so I can record on the computer and bypass the speaker for silent late night work as well as use it at our club sessions. Couldn't do that with the XD and using the downloadable software it's apparently easy to select more Vox-like tones (and others if needed), which makes the unit very appealing - although I often choose a Fender amp sound on my existing Garageband software rather than Vox for various tonal reasons.

The combo with 10" speaker costs around £305 but I see they also do a 15W head and 12" speaker cabinet that would cost £419. Now neither setups are particularly heavy or bulky so I'm wondering what advantage the 12" cab and head would have over the 10" combo, if any, for me to warrant spending the extra? Would I achieve more volume if required, or would there just be tonal differences?

Any thoughts or opinions would be welcomed.
Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

Re: Fender Super Champ X2

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm

The Pawn Shop Excelsior sounds nice all valve and simple controls ... was interesting to note the 'accordian' input has a bass end roll off producing a honky mid range ...

http://youtu.be/_Xb18o1FcsI

The X2 looks good upgrade to a well liked unit
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby RUSSET » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Hi Martyn,
Funny, that. I was thinking exactly the same thing ! I have already got the Superchamp XD & am really pleased with it. I may well be tempted to invest in the Head & cab version. I guess having a 12" speaker in a seperate larger cab must give you a bigger, fatter tone & volume, even for the same output rating.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Didier » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:55 pm

RUSSET wrote:I guess having a 12" speaker in a seperate larger cab must give you a bigger, fatter tone & volume, even for the same output rating.

The 12" speaker which is fitted in the SC112 cabinet proposed with the Super Champ HD is a Celestion G12P-80, having a sensivity rated at 98 dB, which is certainly higher than the "Special Design" 10" speaker of unknown specifications in the Super Champ XD or X2 combos, hence louder.
Of course, you can also use the Super Champ HD with an even higher sensivity speaker (8 ohms) for more volume.

Didier
Didier

Full Real Name: Didier Parot

Postby RUSSET » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:41 am

Didier wrote:
RUSSET wrote:I guess having a 12" speaker in a seperate larger cab must give you a bigger, fatter tone & volume, even for the same output rating.

The 12" speaker which is fitted in the SC112 cabinet proposed with the Super Champ HD is a Celestion G12P-80, having a sensivity rated at 98 dB, which is certainly higher than the "Special Design" 10" speaker of unknown specifications in the Super Champ XD or X2 combos, hence louder.
Of course, you can also use the Super Champ HD with an even higher sensivity speaker (8 ohms) for more volume.

Didier

Yes Didier, I have a 10" ext. cab which I sometimes connect to the SC XD, & it does give a bit more 'bang for the buck'.

Tony.
RUSSET

Return to Gear