New Squier Fiesta Red Strat

Anything to do with Fender, Burns and other guitars; also amps, effects units including eTap, plus any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Re: New Squier Fiesta Red Strat

Postby Bluesnote » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:05 pm

I saw one of these Squier's in Glasgow this morning. They look every bit like the normal Strat as far as I could see. The machine head was the same size too and not like the early ones. There was a maple neck and a rosewood neck in stock at the time in fiesta red, the neck was narrow too. I would have asked to try it with an amp but someone was in the wee room thinking he was Gary Moore and seemed in no mood for leaving anytime soon :? Probably just as well I didn't, I'd probably have got the plastic out if I'd liked it too much :roll:
Bluesnote

Postby George Geddes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:23 pm

Likewise - popped in on my way home tonight. Looks nice, the Biffy Clyro logo and sig. are very discreet. Tempted...

The Fiesta Red / rosewood fingerboard has always been *the* Shadows look for me. Probably as that is what they used the first time I saw them.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby John M » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:50 pm

While you were in the store...did you see the Strat priced a 30 grand?????

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/electric_ ... x-G15ES871
John M

Full Real Name: john miller

Postby Bluesnote » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:37 pm

No I did'nt but I'd be more inclined to purchase 30 guitars for that kind of money 8-)

I like the rosewood neck too, the last two Strats I had were maple necked. I find that kinda cold to play if you know what I mean, rosewood has a better feeling to it I think.
Also, with the maple neck, after a while the finish tends to look scruffy when its been played a lot.
Bluesnote

Postby George Geddes » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:27 pm

There are various theories about Biffy Clyro's strange name. One is that one of the band once owned a Cliff Richard pen - that is a Cliffy Biro...

They are Scottish and quite highly regarded by my modern music advisor.

George
George Geddes

Full Real Name: George Geddes

Postby Ian Miller » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi All,

I bought a Squier 20th aniversary Strat at a local car boot sale for £25.

It is a 2 tone sunburst and in mint condition. It's got a fantastic sound, in fact better that my US standard!

It is at the moment my guitar of choice.

It is Chinese made I think about 2002.

I really don't feel I want to change anything on it because it sounds so good as it is.

Regards

Ian
Ian Miller

Full Real Name: Ian Miller

Postby RUSSET » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:56 am

Don't write these 'Classic Vibe' series off because it says 'Squier' on the headstock. They are a lot better quality than the regular Affinity & Standard series. The one bad point about them is that they have the typical Far East cheap, thin moulded alloy trem block. Not sure whether it can be replaced with an off the shelf steel one, as I believe the bridge & the routing may be slightly smaller than the usual US vintage size. The electrics & tuners etc. shouldn't be a problem to upgrade.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby RUSSET » Mon Nov 09, 2009 3:09 pm

Just couldn't resist it. I've ordered a Squier Classic vibe 'Biffy Clyro' F.Red Strat from Dolphin Music. I must have G.A.S. syndrome creeping up on me again. I already have two F.Red Strats. I guess I want to see if I can make a Squier into a perfectly acceptable Shads guitar. I know I'll probably have to replace the thin trem block with a nice steel one, but at only £260 for the guitar, it's almost too good to turn down, isn't it ?

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby RUSSET » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:36 am

Well, as promised by Dolphin music, the FEDEX van arrived yesterday (one day delivery - post free), & the Squier 'Biffy' Strat arrived in a very high quality cardboard box. It , being a signature guitar in the Classic Vibe series, is great quality for a budget range instrument. The neck & headstock have that nice tinted varnish that looks vintage, like the Mex Classic series. The Rosewood fingerboard is nice & dark & the finish is perfect. The set-up was pretty good too, & after a quick tune up it played well straight out of the box. The Fiesta Red colour is good, but maybe slightly more of that 'Hot Rod Red' shade than the truer pinker Mex Fiesta Red. Not much in it though, & pefectly acceptable. The trem arm seems slighty longer ( about 1" ) than I'm used to with the Mex Classic player, but that's a minor gripe. The neck is a comfortable shallow 'C' profile. I've lowered the action a little & released the trem from it's 'locked down flat' position on the body, to float.
The sound is quite bright & twangy, which may be the fact that it has brand new strings, & they are '9s'. It also has a mix of Alnico III & Alnico V magnets in the pickups. I'll change them to '10s' in due course, & try to fit a chunkier steel trem block.
All in all, this is a really good guitar for the price, & ideal for anyone on a strict budget, with opportunities to upgrade as you see fit. Wish I'd had one of these in the sixties, instead of the rough old Hofner.

Tony.
RUSSET

Postby Martyn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:50 pm

I'd welcome any updates on progress as you carry out any mods or adjustments plus your overall comparisons with any others you own or have access to.
It would similarly be great if you were able to record some samples using it, for us to hear how it sounds.

Oh no, Christmas approaches and I can feel similar purchasing twitches in the wallet department . . . :roll:

Cheers,
Martyn
Martyn

Full Real Name: Martyn Welch

PreviousNext

Return to Gear