Catalinbread Echorec Pedal

For anything to do with guitars, amps, effects units and any other music making accessories

Moderators: David Martin, dave robinson, Iain Purdon, George Geddes

Catalinbread Echorec Pedal

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:12 pm

Anyone who likes to collect different echo devices might be interested in this, just bought one of these from the States, brilliant piece of kit and it does the Shads echoes really well - recommended !
Not too expensive for what it is (a modified Binson in a small pedal) £186 here . . .
8-)
http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/pedals_s_ ... 2810412616
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Full Real Name: David Robinson

Re: Catalinbread Echorec Pedal

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:09 am

All the demos sound good, seems very versatile, how easy to operate quickly, say in a live situation?
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby dave robinson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:12 pm

AlanMcKillop wrote:All the demos sound good, seems very versatile, how easy to operate quickly, say in a live situation?

Hi Alan, I wondered that too and when it arrived I was delighted that the Apache / MOM / FBI / Mustang setting (heads 1,3 &4) was directly next to the Wonderful Land / Atlantis etc etc setting (heads 1,2,3,4,) on the dial i.e. out of twelve settings on the dial, Apache is number 11 and Wonderful Land number 12. This makes it easy for me, as most of the stuff we play uses these settings but with varying amounts of echo level and feedback, so just a tweak can sort out the next track.
All the other settings are very usable to me and this is simply because of the varispeed control. I have recorded a few well known Shadows tunes to compare with the other machines and I'm delighted that this pedal competes admirably. The sound of the echoes is 'right' if you understand what I mean, it's a perect Binson sound. For the price of £186 I couldn't and didn't ignore it. You may have read that the makers added head configurations that were never available on the actual Binson Echorec, but now all options are available on this pedal which makes it worthwhile for me.
For anyone interested I'm prepared to post some demos, if there are perhaps any tunes that someone might like to hear with this pedal, name them and I will do my best to oblige. 8-)
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby AlanMcKillop » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks Dave, what's another £186. ;)
AlanMcKillop

Full Real Name: Alan McKillop

Postby Bojan » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:54 pm

dave robinson wrote:
AlanMcKillop wrote:All the demos sound good, seems very versatile, how easy to operate quickly, say in a live situation?

Hi Alan, I wondered that too and when it arrived I was delighted that the Apache / MOM / FBI / Mustang setting (heads 1,3 &4) was directly next to the Wonderful Land / Atlantis etc etc setting (heads 1,2,3,4,) on the dial i.e. out of twelve settings on the dial, Apache is number 11 and Wonderful Land number 12. This makes it easy for me, as most of the stuff we play uses these settings but with varying amounts of echo level and feedback, so just a tweak can sort out the next track.
All the other settings are very usable to me and this is simply because of the varispeed control. I have recorded a few well known Shadows tunes to compare with the other machines and I'm delighted that this pedal competes admirably. The sound of the echoes is 'right' if you understand what I mean, it's a perect Binson sound. For the price of £186 I couldn't and didn't ignore it. You may have read that the makers added head configurations that were never available on the actual Binson Echorec, but now all options are available on this pedal which makes it worthwhile for me.
For anyone interested I'm prepared to post some demos, if there are perhaps any tunes that someone might like to hear with this pedal, name them and I will do my best to oblige. 8-)

It's good of you to make this offer Dave. I think many of us are very interetsed. Perhaps you could record a 3 or 4 minute medley. I suggest: Apache, MOM, Big Boy, WL, Dance On, Flingel Bunt . . . I would really love to hear that!!
Bojan

Full Real Name: Bojan Drndic

Postby roger bayliss » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:34 pm

Yes it does seem a good unit Dave I noted that the Taps on heads 1 2 and three are 25% 50% and 75% of head 4 which is always at 100% of the delay settings. So from that you can tell how far away the taps are from the usual Meazzi / Long Toms and so on. So having the percentages will tell us how much out it is but that probably is not an issue especially for a live show setting. It also has the drive characteristics of the original Binson too which is good . I would like to hear it demoed !
American Pro Series Strat 2017, G&L S500 Natural Ash
roger bayliss

Full Real Name: Roger Bayliss

Postby duesenburg man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:04 pm

hi dave , I am pretty new to the site , just looking for a little help, I brought a vox ac 30 just a while back, I read your review the catlin bread echo and I have just orded one. if I could just impose on you a little,if you could take a few photos of the settings you used for apache, wonderful land , the savage. these may give me a start on shadows sound road, my e mail is sowter@hotmail.co.uk, many thanks Stewart.
duesenburg man

Postby dave robinson » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:09 pm

duesenburg man wrote:hi dave , I am pretty new to the site , just looking for a little help, I brought a vox ac 30 just a while back, I read your review the catlin bread echo and I have just orded one. if I could just impose on you a little,if you could take a few photos of the settings you used for apache, wonderful land , the savage. these may give me a start on shadows sound road, my e mail is sowterAThotmail.co.uk, many thanks Stewart.

No problem I'll do that for you, when are you expecting delivery ?

I will compare with the eTap2hw timings that I know to be right and get as close as I can, though bear in mind that there may need to be be slight differences in the positions of the controls from one machine to another. :idea:
Dave Robinson
dave robinson

Postby duesenburg man » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:29 pm

thanks dave, I hope it will be with me about Thursday , I have been looking for a good echo for a while, much appreciate your help and kindness , thanks again Stewart.
duesenburg man

Postby duesenburg man » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:42 pm

Hi dave ,after about a month since I posted my questions about the catlinbread echorec,its in the post and will be with me tomorrow, any news on those settings , thanks stewart.
duesenburg man

Next

Return to Gear